harman p68 pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodendave

Feb 3, 2011
rhode island
I have a Harman p68 pellet stove which I cannot get to fire up. I hot wired the auger motor and it works and then replaced the pressure switch but that didn't help. If I run the TEST mode the auger does not run. If I run the stove in TEST mode I can get the auger to run by operating the switch manually. At no point has the igniter ever worked. Everything else seems to correct but it will not light. Any ideas?

Are you door gaskets good? If one or more of the doors are open, or
the gaskets aren't sealing, the vacuum switch will open & the auger will not feed.

how is this stove vented? please list diameter and parts in the system.

The stove is vented with 4" double walled pipe, punched straight out of the stove and through the house. Once outside it turnes 90 degrees straight up for about 36". The pipe has a clean out at the transition. As far as I can tall everything is free of obstructions.

Sounds like vac switch is not making.In test mode vac switch has to make for auger to run because vac switch is wired inline to the neutral wire going to auger motor and igniter. blow back through vac switch tube to make sure it is not blocked. Check that ash pan door is secured properly and ash is not built up not allowing it to seal. Combustion fan is clean? remove cleanout cap and try starting stove and see if this makes a difference?

does your model have an air fitting IN the hopper? If so, its likely clogged with fines.....clean it. How about the hopper seal at the lid and the bottom of the hopper?

Tried to run the unit with the cleanout removed, no luck. I've thoroughly cleaned the stove. I seem to be getting power to all the parts and can jump start the auger but only the blower works in test mode. The vacumn hose seems to be clear, I can blow through it and if I suck air out of the pressure switch the auger will engage but no matter what I do the damn thing will not light. Should I try manually ( gel ) lighting the pellets ?

Tried lighting the pellets myself. Left the door open until pellets began to burn and then closed the door. Flame simply died out and left smoldering pellets and smoke leaking into my living room Not good.

woodendave said:
Tried lighting the pellets myself. Left the door open until pellets began to burn and then closed the door. Flame simply died out and left smoldering pellets and smoke leaking into my living room Not good.

dave.....as I asked above, does your bin have an air fitting? it would be a little yellow platic thingy, near the bottom of the bin, maybe 5/8" in diameter, and 1" tall............

what year is your stove? Harman put some censor in hoppers for a few years, it caused some problems so I think they stopped using it, you may have one.

its not a sensor, its the intake to the vacuum switch, and its the items I was alluding to above.......waiting on Dave to answer.....

I don't think this unit ( 2006 or 07 ) has an air fitting in the bin, at least none that I can see. The hopper is sealed to the top of the auger with black sealant and the lid seems to be fitting correctly. Is there a pressure test I could try?

Make sure you do not have any pellets around the seal on the hopper lid. Clean dust/pellets around the seal. Disconnect the baffle hose from the stove and LIGHTLY blow into the hose forcing air through the baffle into the hopper. The baffle maybe plugged.

Is there a round little yellow buffle in your hopper or is there a switch on the top of the hopper that the lid closes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.