harman p68 works great until temp drops below 30 degrees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HARMAN P68 WORKS GREAT UNTIL TEMPS DROPS TO 30 DEGREES THEN FLAMES GET VERY LOW....ANY SUGGESTIONS

• HAVE INSTALLED NEW ROOM SENSOR 12-8-15

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I BURN HAMMER HOT ONES EXCELLENT PELLETS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolller

Dec 8, 2015
pennsylvania
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH A HARMAN P68 ? ITS A GREAT STOVE AND BURNS WELL UNTIL OUTSIDE TEMPS DROP INTO LOW 30'S THEN THE FLAMES BECOME VERY LOW.

I have the xxv I run on room temp. As it gets colder I do have to turn the thermostat up a bit to keep the same temp. Have a p68 in the downstairs but haven't had to use it due to the spring like Temps in December.

What is your venting setup?

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH A HARMAN P68 ? ITS A GREAT STOVE AND BURNS WELL UNTIL OUTSIDE TEMPS DROP INTO LOW 30'S THEN THE FLAMES BECOME VERY LOW.
something not setup right.
The P68 is a Heat making Beast...

Its acting like a venting block.

I'd also suggest a venting issue. Outside temperature shouldn't effect stove performance other than having to set the temp control higher if the house is poorly insulated.

Reactions: Cory S
Ddon't have that issue with either the P61a or the P43. Not sure what would cause it, but something isn't right somewhere. If you have an OAK set up is there any possible way some condensation is icing up at the outside wall causing a restriction on the air intake?

Rolller, Welcome! How old is your 68 and what all have you done cleaning wise etc? Give details so people here can offer advice, help, etc.

Something is not right but that needs to be figured out. My P68 laughs at 30 degrees. The 68 as mentioned is a heat throwing beast. Very true. Mine has no issues heating with negative temps. It just eats more pellets. You should have no problems with yours pumping heat in the 30's.

Is your room sensing probe hooked up? Without it or a bad one the flame will not ramp up. My buddy just put in a new Advance and didn't have his hooked up and he couldn't get it to produce good heat and flame as temps dropped. Plugged it in and the problem was solved.

Reactions: bogieb
Rolller, Welcome! How old is your 68 and what all have you done cleaning wise etc? Give details so people here can offer advice, help, etc.

Something is not right but that needs to be figured out. My P68 laughs at 30 degrees. The 68 as mentioned is a heat throwing beast. Very true. Mine has no issues heating with negative temps. It just eats more pellets. You should have no problems with yours pumping heat in the 30's.

Is your room sensing probe hooked up? Without it or a bad one the flame will not ramp up. My buddy just put in a new Advance and didn't have his hooked up and he couldn't get it to produce good heat and flame as temps dropped. Plugged it in and the problem was solved.
THANKS FOR INFORMATION. GOT IT IN 2008 BRAND NEW. SINCE READING YOUR ADVICE OF A NEW SENSOR I LOOKED AT THE SENSOR WIRE IN BACK OF P68 AND SAW ONE WIRE FRAYED SO GOT NEW SENSOR WIRE AND ORDERING A NEW SENSOR PROBE. SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME UNTIL THE NEXT 30 DEGREES TO SEE IF A CHANGE. IF NOT THEN I'LL COMMUNICATE WITH THE FORUM ALL THE UPS AND DOWNS OF ME HAVING SERVICE MEN COME TO MY HOME. THANK YOU

THANKS FOR INFORMATION. GOT IT IN 2008 BRAND NEW. SINCE READING YOUR ADVICE OF A NEW SENSOR I LOOKED AT THE SENSOR WIRE IN BACK OF P68 AND SAW ONE WIRE FRAYED SO GOT NEW SENSOR WIRE AND ORDERING A NEW SENSOR PROBE. SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME UNTIL THE NEXT 30 DEGREES TO SEE IF A CHANGE. IF NOT THEN I'LL COMMUNICATE WITH THE FORUM ALL THE UPS AND DOWNS OF ME HAVING SERVICE MEN COME TO MY HOME. THANK YOU
I would do the dollar bill test on your door gaskets while your waiting. Gaskets are a very easy project and keeps you from sucking room air out the exhaust and lowering the effeceincy of the burn.

THANKS FOR INFORMATION. GOT IT IN 2008 BRAND NEW.

So is this a new problem this year, or has your stove not worked right for 7 years? You're first post suggests latter, which is hard to believe. Hope it was just the sensor, good luck.

Reactions: bogieb
I wouldn't pay for service on the probe. They just plug and unplug into the back of the stove similar to a wall outlet and lamp cord. You also don't have to wait for it to cool down outside to see if it remedies the issue. just crank it up in temperature and feed and it will ramp up.

I'd also check and / or replace your fire box and ash pan door rope gaskets as Bio mentioned. That is pretty inexpensive and easy enough to do also. Lowe's, HD, TSC, and hardware stores all sell replacement rope gaskets for about $10 bucks with the glue included. Just match up the right diameter and sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.