Harman PB 105 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wipelletguru

Feb 22, 2014
Thorp, WI 54771
I just purchased a Pb 105 brand new from a dealer that went out of business and am in need of a little install help.

I am installing in my attached garage.
Can i run it as a open water system. leave the pressure relief valve off and maybe just a section of pipe to prevent overflow of hot water? and not have it hooked up to the house water supply?

Do I need to hook up the outdoor temp sensor? What is this for?

I just want to set it up to keep the water temp about 170 max 165 min. and pump the water through my heat exchanger in my furnace.

I currently have a house thermostat that just turns on the blower motor in my force air furnace.

I have been using a woodmaster 900 for the last 5 years.

My first question is, are you doing the install yourself? If you are, I suggest that you read the installation manual, lots of good info in it about installation, probably will answer some of the questions that you may have.

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PB105.pdf

First ...welcome to the forum.

Next why run as an open system? IMHO (based on the fact mine wants to boil the water given just 1/2 a chance) running this boiler in an open system is a waste as it was designed and built to be pressurized.

Next outdoor temp sensor...I like mine. easy to disconnect. How it works and why I like it...as the temps rise outdoors it lowers hi an lo set points accordingly (see chart in manual) Why I like it...Because I like "manual" operation, on warm days it lowers my high set point (mine usually maxed at 185°) . This helps my boiler by lowering the high temp just a bit further from over heat temp. Now DO NOT run boiler in manual W/O a "dump zone" . If you do you will come home to a shut off boiler with a s
"status light" blinking 7 times.

Hopefully you have the pressure igniter and the "newest, latest and greatest...BURN pot!! Mine now has 9+ tons burned and still looks "pristine"

I am installing in my attached garage.

Many places prohibit installing in an attached garage. Do you have any vehicles, lawn mowers, chain saws, gas cans, etc. in your garage?

Before you start on your endeavor, you may want to check with your insurance company and make sure that it is okay with them. If you have a local building inspector, you may also want to check with them.

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.