Harman PB105 and Bulk Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
Does anyone have the Bulk Storage that Harman has to go with thePB105? How does it work? How many pellets can it hold? What is the price range on the pb105 and for the storage unit? How much would a typical instal range in cost?

How much space does the pb105 and storage take up?

If you are talking about the storage unit that automatically feeds the PB 105 I am pretty sure the price is closer to $1800. At $800 I'll take delivery tomorrow! You load the bags in it manually unless you have access to a service that can bulk load it for you.

the bulk storage thing also only holds 1300 lbs....and now retails for about $1900. :confused:

you can add the storage thingy later

is the storage unit soemthign that can be added on easily later? I really wish i had the money for the okefen boiler seems pretty easy
Check out the Windhager system, competitor to Okefen, hydro-to-heat-converter.com, talk with mark...he's on the boards here too....search Caluwe. That's his last name.

Wow some of those are pricey you could get a geothermal system for close to that cost depending on your house and property size.

I finished my season up last year with one...words can say how happy I am with this set up. It will shift ALL stove (boiler) duties to being done on MY schedule. Says it holds 1300 lbs...from my perspective it didn't hold quite that much. I freckin LOVE it

So i would just empty bags into the storage unit or is that only if you can get bulk delivery of pellets?

It has a bag dumping system...simple effective ...also the fill door can be opened up without the full height requirement their brochure requires. I can measure my clearance (around 75") exactly cuz that was one of my worries . I hold my door open with a wire and it works great.

But geothermal is only going to work down to 25 degree or so. Gets colder than that up north.

Maybe your thinking of a air source heat pump that holds true for them, although some mini-splits go to -5 or so now.

A ground source heat pump designed properly will pull 38-40 degree water all winter long for the heat pump to operate with. It will work regardless of outside temperature. Geothermal systems work in Alaska. They do have an electric supplement for instance if its -10 for several days and you need 60k btu to maintain 70 degrees in your house but the system installed is only 50k btu the electric supplement heat will come on. This is by design as its not really cost effective to install a larger system to accommodate the outlying days.

Maybe your thinking of a air source heat pump that holds true for them, although some mini-splits go to -5 or so now.

A ground source heat pump designed properly will pull 38-40 degree water all winter long for the heat pump to operate with. It will work regardless of outside temperature. Geothermal systems work in Alaska. They do have an electric supplement for instance if its -10 for several days and you need 60k btu to maintain 70 degrees in your house but the system installed is only 50k btu the electric supplement heat will come on. This is by design as its not really cost effective to install a larger system to accommodate the outlying days.
I need to learn more about them, only so much space in my brain so I have to figure out which info to dump....:p

I was probably close to $3000 but I installed in a remote building so I had 100 feet of 1 1/4 thermopex line and maybe 100 feet of 1 1/4 copper inside the barn. Probably would have been around $500 if I could have located in the house next to my oil boiler.

yeah i am putting mine in the basement directly beside my oil boiler. Hoping i can find something cheaper than 4000. Thats over half the price of the unit itself

If your putting it next to the existing boiler, materials should be reasonable. I plumbed mine in series with my existing boiler and chose iron pipe. I just did an install with the boiler right next to the existing boiler in 1 1/4 copper, air scoop and quality vent, 10' copper, 6 - 90° elbows , 2 -45° elbows, and new boiler drain on existing boiler...no chimney work...$500.00 even. Its not a hard job. copper is fast.

My personal one was more... Iron pipe...Its across the basement 20'. I installed an expansion tank with my air scoop, 3- 1 1/4 ball valves 10' chimney, plus electric and it was very close to $500.00 in materials and bout 8 or 10 hours labor. If you were closer I would do it for under $1000.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.