Harman PC 45. Are these still being made?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watcher1

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2014
Ironton WI
I keep seeing a few of these around me here on craigs. 1200 to 1500. Just wondering how well they did 100% corn. I have a Magnum 3500 now.

There are many here who run 100% corn in the PC45's. Some do a pellet and corn 50/50% mix too. I paid $1,600 for mine in November of 2014. The guy I bought mine from only burned corn. He also did not clean it well either. They are good dependable stoves that are pretty easy and simple to work on and there is plenty of info here. Use the search bar and put PC45 in there. many threads and discussions on this stove.

They no longer make them but parts are easy to find and get all over the internet and elsewhere. They are a pretty popular stove. There is one here on CL and they are asking $1,500 also. Bioburner here is a guru on this particular stove.

I know the Countryside all to well. If cared for and cleaned every week properly it will run without to many issues. Noisy
I sold a PC45 to someone in Wisconsin in February that I got from my neighbor and I tore apart and did proper clean and paint on.
They can burn corn well if properly dried. Now that corn is cheap they dropped that ear model:( If you can get a decent shape PC45 for under $1500 I think it would be worth it. Corn acres look to be even higher this year but who knows what weather will do as we here in the bottom of the Red River Valley are very dry and nothing in the forecast and nothing over 8 feet down.

I have a PC45, and I like it. However I cannot comment on how it burns corn. I've been burning straight pellets in it for two winters. Need to clean it out real good this spring. I generally scrap the burn pot real quick twice a day. It is noisy. But I have nothing to compare it to.

My other two stoves in the house are a bit quieter but then they both have German made room fans that would cost more than double to replace over the Dayton of the Harman. I made a external wood box with filter for the PC45's room fan and reduced the noise a fair amount when it runs but does not run much as the crosslink boiler insert removes most of the heat and unless the need for heat is high the fan never runs.

that's an interesting comment about the crosslink. I've held off trying to get a crosslink because of the price, but also, in my situation, i think the blower provides needed heat to the room, so it might not be a good idea for me to put a crosslink in my stove. On a related note, i think the distribution blower fan on my stove is getting kind of noisy. I think i will take it off this spring and check it out, maybe lube some bearings if possible. Also, the variable speed control seems to be going bad, i seem to remember reading on another thread here that it's not too big of a deal to replace.

I have replaced several pot switches as that seems to be a weak point of Harman boards. I would recommend as the room fan is not filtered to remove it annually and evict the dust bunnies. You will be surprised at the amount of dirt that builds up on the fins and blast out the motor too to keep it running cooler for years.

The PC I have is set at 65 and keeps the stove in idle mode at that setting. If I bump it up to 68-70 the room fan will come on and the fire will build nicely but having the infloor heat you will start to sweat at 70 while going barefoot. It just balances very well without having to add extra controls for my situation.

I keep seeing a few of these around me here on craigs. 1200 to 1500. Just wondering how well they did 100% corn. I have a Magnum 3500 now.
I mix about a gallon of pellets with 4 gallons of corn to keep the stirrer from getting clumpy plus you don't have to worry about 15% corn being tough to burn. They are pretty simple to keep running and seem to last a long time I have a couple customers who have had theirs 2005 and their only expense has been new stirrers still using original igniters and both exh fan and combustion fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.