Harman PC45 pellet stove heat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mailman1

Feb 13, 2014
Holmen, WI
when you turn thermostat up should you increase your feed on pellet stove?

We have been having issues with out pellet stove putting out heat. Sometimes it goes through 1-1/2 bags of pellets in 1 evening. The ash bin has lots of burning embers in it, as well.

Harman PC45.

Last edited:
You need to provide your stove make and model. You can add it to your sig for future posts.

Set the fuel feed at 4 for a start and if live pellets are feeding over the tray trim back some. When was the last time the stove well cleaned? The ESP is vital in the performance and needs to be pretty clean.

Not being familiar with your stove, I can only ask a few general questions. When's the last time you thoroughly cleaned it? Burn pot squeaky clean? Pot holes clear? Exchanger clean? Comb fan impeller clean? Dist blower blades clean? Venting clean? Intake free of obstructions?

I know there's a couple different burn pot configurations on that stove. Do you have it setup for burning pellets, which I assume you're burning?

My suggestion as to what items you should address first as far as cleaning goes, is the ESP, exchanger, the burn pot and your venting.

How does the flame look?

Set the fuel feed at 4 for a start and if live pellets are feeding over the tray trim back some. When was the last time the stove well cleaned? The ESP is vital in the performance and needs to be pretty clean.
Not being familiar with your stove, I can only ask a few general questions. When's the last time you thoroughly cleaned it? Burn pot squeaky clean? Pot holes clear? Exchanger clean? Comb fan impeller clean? Dist blower blades clean? Venting clean? Intake free of obstructions?

I know there's a couple different burn pot configurations on that stove. Do you have it setup for burning pellets, which I assume you're burning?

My suggestion as to what items you should address first as far as cleaning goes, is the ESP, exchanger, the burn pot and your venting.

How does the flame look?
Cleaned regularly. Just cleaned the ESP with alcohol.

Age of stove? Trying to rule out things like door gaskets wearing.

Ok, Try the dollar bill test on doors when cool of course. Take a bill and put in the door seal area and latch and try and pull, continue the test all the way around the doors. Now if George is easily coming out, gaskets need replacing. If some air is leaking the stove doors the pot is not getting the proper air fuel mix and cooler exhaust temps can make the stove feed more fuel but your not getting more heat as its getting shot out the exhaust.

Ok, Try the dollar bill test on doors when cool of course. Take a bill and put in the door seal area and latch and try and pull, continue the test all the way around the doors. Now if George is easily coming out, gaskets need replacing. If some air is leaking the stove doors the pot is not getting the proper air fuel mix and cooler exhaust temps can make the stove feed more fuel but your not getting more heat as its getting shot out the exhaust.
Thank you very much for this suggestion. Will do it first thing in the morning. I appreciate all your help!

If that gets you nowhere the probe probably is failing. Half dozen years is about time for gaskets. Fleet Farm has the material in 12 foot lengths and get some silicone for attaching. That and a drill powered brush to clean the doors properly is around $20 and is a easy project.

If that gets you nowhere the probe probably is failing. Half dozen years is about time for gaskets. Fleet Farm has the material in 12 foot lengths and get some silicone for attaching. That and a drill powered brush to clean the doors properly is around $20 and is a easy project.
Flunked the dollar bill test like crazy. Got the new stuff installed, now just waiting until tomorrow to burn the stove. So hopeful :) Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.