Harman PC45 -vs- P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Doty

Burning Hunk
I am curious as to the differences in the pc45 stove and the p43. The P series is all on their site but no way to find the comparable info on the pc45 ?? Harman guys help !!

I did not think so but I seen one for sale on CL and it appeared to be a dealer with options available so I was asking??

The PC 45 is no longer in production. There are several guys here with them. My personal experience is...I purchased a PC45, installed it and ran it for three weeks. I just didn't care for the different burnpot and the auger stirring and it seemed to use more pellets than my Harman Invincible. I returned it to my stove shop and they swapped it for the P61A I have now no questions asked. Get the P43....

The PC 45 is no longer in production. There are several guys here with them. My personal experience is...I purchased a PC45, installed it and ran it for three weeks. I just didn't care for the different burnpot and the auger stirring and it seemed to use more pellets than my Harman Invincible. I returned it to my stove shop and they swapped it for the P61A I have now no questions asked. Get the P43....

Good enuf !! Thanks guys

Harman had a upgrade kit for the PC45 changing the end of the burn tray to a simple lip for ash to just spill over and a different exhaust fan plate to boost output to 50k if burning pellets only. Now I found the new plate was just pushing more heat out the stack but the rest of the kit works well. No need to stir the pot if using less than 50% corn. Now the stove can really eat some truly ashy pellets without any issue. Pressure ignition system is pretty fast but if pump goes so will the igniter but have only heard of one failure on the site but I've only been here a couple years.

Attachments

• DSCN0503.JPG
    DSCN0503.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 633
Harman had a upgrade kit for the PC45 changing the end of the burn tray to a simple lip for ash to just spill over and a different exhaust fan plate to boost output to 50k if burning pellets only. Now I found the new plate was just pushing more heat out the stack but the rest of the kit works well. No need to stir the pot if using less than 50% corn. Now the stove can really eat some truly ashy pellets without any issue. Pressure ignition system is pretty fast but if pump goes so will the igniter but have only heard of one failure on the site but I've only been here a couple years.

The pc45 I saw was likely used since not in production, it just looked like a new stove ad but was only 500$ under a new P43

The addition of the pressure ignition system to the 45 is where the extra cost comes from over the 43 also the CB is about $50 more. If I were to not burn corn or burn it straight I would stick to the 43. Now I heard of some new stoves being held by a few dealers. Right now in MN the 45 is hot commodity but that could change if the corn price continues to rise.

Doug,
Go get the new P43 from Stan and Scott Wiedeman. We talked about this before. LOL! Tell them I recommended you to them. Great outfit and guys. Just talked to Scott yesterday just to say Hi and to see what all they had in stock for different wall thimble options and they had a few. You can get a new P43 for $2,900 after the Harman $100 coupon online. Not sure if the offer has expired yet. Otherwise the P43 is $3,000 new. The P43 new is a much better deal than the PC45 for $2,600 that you are looking at. I was looking at them too. If he would sell them for $2,000 or less then it would be a tougher choice. Anything $1,800 or less and I'd buy one now. He didn't want to budge on price though. He also has a pellet furnace for sale.

I know which PC45's you are talking about. On Craigslist for $2,600. Correct? The guy used to be a dealer and is in Brooksville. He has 4 new ones or did that never sold. They are new but older.

I just bought a used PC45 for $1,600 in good working order but dirty inside. The unit looks brand new. If this deal wouldn't have popped up I was going to get another new P43. I like the 45 well enough but it is somewhat older technology and is not as quick and responsive as the newer P series. It's a great stove too but different than the new ones. Works great and throws heat well. I like it too. I took the stirrer out and put in the pellet burn pot set up. Works great and similar to my new 68.

In comparing the two the P43 is pellets only or a pellet corn mix and 43K BTU with newer technology and a different burn pot. They look the same. The hopper latches are different between the 45 and new 43's. The 45 can burn corn, a corn pellet mix, or 100% pellets whereas the 43 mainly pellets but can burn a 50 /50 corn pellet mix. Ultimately the all corn on the 45's is somewhat insignificant IMHO because many with 45's burn a mix or pellets anyway. The 45 has a stirrer for corn and different burn pots for different fuels. The stirrer does not need to be used for pellets. The igniters are different too. Likely some other vacuums, various controls, mechanisms, and such.

The PC45 is 45K BTU's for corn or 50K BTU's with pellets so there is a bit of BTU difference but the 43 being newer technology it is likely insignificant all in all. Cleaning either or is basically the same. Ash pans are the same etc; The fire door latches are the same but different on my 68 and others. The 43, 45, and 61's have a latch that rotates whereas my 68 has an up and down catch like the ash pan.

Looks wise they are the same except the room blower holes are different but most wouldn't notice. The 45 has round vent holes and the 43 and new stoves have a hole somewhat in a V shape with a wide squared bottom. The louver kits fit both the same. Trim kits are the same for the 45's and 61's. Different size for the 43's because they are slightly smaller units.

The main difference is the corn burning and burn pots along with slightly different technology and operation from what I've seen. The 45 has a 135CFM blower and the 43 is 134 CFM. The 45 weighs 249 lbs. and the 43 is 212 lbs. The 43 is 22" wide, 31 1/2" high, and 28 5/8" deep. The 45 is slightly wider, taller, and deeper. It's the same as the new 61's in measurements and weight. The 45's hopper capacity is larger too. 45 and 61's hoppers = 72 lbs. vs. 50 lbs. for the 43.

The 45's take longer to get up to temp and ramp up or down when adjustments are made. Nothing major but it is a difference. The 45's are noisier at start up but once the flue temp is hit and blowers kick on there is not much difference on sound or how loud. The 45's are excellent stoves and very well worth owning if the price is right. I am happy with my $1,600 price I paid and it made sense and sizable savings. Once your at the $2,000 plus price on them the new 43 makes more sense. To me anyways.

In general the 45's are somewhat of a hybrid between the 43 and 61's with the ability to burn 100% corn. They are good units too. Many have said they are not great at burning 100% corn though. That could be due to various reason though. Crappy wet corn? ? ? A pellet stove doesn't burn crappy pellets well either. Especially wet ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.