Harman Pellet Pro 38 Plus (P38)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal65

Oct 3, 2006
Where can I find a good review on this stove? Most of the reviews I find are on the XXV. This stove has a very attractive price. I know it doesn't have a thermostat and I watched my dealer manually light it. It produces good heat even without all of the advanced features (comparable to the Accentra if it is on turbo). Are there any P38 owners out there that very happy or wishing they bought a bigger stove? I could light this stove after work and burn it all night, turn it off before I leave or set it on low (if I don't feel like restarting after work or if it is a cold day).

Why turn it off and relight it at night why not get one that does it by itself? (is it price) If you want just turn the thermostat down a bit during the day and if it gets cold it will restart. I don't know about So.cal in the winter but here when that sun goes down the temp follows and it drops like a rock, If I get stuck at work late, my house could feel like an icebox and I know that my wife HATES walking into a cold house (that goes back to when we heated with gas and used to turn t-stat down when we left for the day) now we just let the stove turn on and off when needed it's nice especially around here where temperature swings are a bit drastic. And I'm sure that my dogs apreciate it as well.
It does cost more money in the end to reheat an area rather than to maintain it at a constant temp.
But on a side note both are nice looking stoves....

The brochure says a thermostat is optional on a P38, but no autostart function. My old pellet stove didn't have an autostart function, and my new one (an xxv) does. It is pretty darn convenient, I highly recommend the autostart function, with a thermostat. That way you can assure your home will be at the temp you want when you get home. With my old stove, I recall every time I picked up 1/2 ton (25 bags) I would have to buy about 2 bags of starter (parafin coated wood chips). I don't recall the price, but I think about ~3.50 each, ~3 tons a year, ~$40/year, say 10 years =$400.

own a p38 which heats 1200 square feet of living space more than adequately...

no big problem with start up as i leave it on low during the course of the day and jack it up upon return later in the day...

only time i shut her down during the winter season is to clean and service...

otherwise, she's just keeps churning...

windr

Hey SoCal, you must really like the Harmans!

If you liked the XXV, you may want to consider a P61 or P68 (less costly than the XXV, more features than the P38)

I was also looking at the P38, but the larger heat output and the auto start features of the P61 ended up swinging our decision.

You may find that the P38 fits the bill though (it does come in at a nice price point).

Status
Not open for further replies.