harman pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby

Sep 13, 2006
Looking to replace an existing wood stove with a harman XXV or the P68. As its replacing the wood stove which has a 8 inch pipe into the masonary chimney.. I thought about the XXV's option of using the top vent 6 inch pipe.. so it looked a lilttle more like a stove.. not sure how it will look with a small 3 inch pipe? Does anyone know the price of this option and if there are issues? How about the P68 is there anything to do or do most folks just go with a 3 inch?

I have also read posts on the issue of not venting the stove to the top of a masonary chimney.. any issues with the six inch pipe.. the chimney is one story..
Thanks

we installed a free standing pellet stove in place of our wood stove and I was initially concerned about the same thing. I ended up just going with the 3in pipe and a reducer where it goes into the wall. it does not look that bad and when you see the price of the pipe you will definitely consider the 3in more closely.

Thanks.. I will talk to the dealerto see how much.. he quoted $450 to install and hook up. with $250-300 for pipe to go from the stove up 4.5 Feet into the chimney thumble and out into the brick chimney.

We also have a free standing located in an alcove. Duravent makes a double vent pipe that's around 6" total, it's basically has a 4" center vent with the outside 2"s being used for the fresh air intake (tube in a tube). It stubs up from the stove as 3" for around a foot, then adapts up to 6". I created a little shield out of tin which I painted black to cover the 3" stub, all you can see is the 6" now so it looks like a regular wood stove vent now. If you plan to burn corn, make sure you get the heavier duty stainless vent. Also, if you plan to silicone the joints, don't ever plan on getting them apart again!

Id say go with the p68, since if needed, it'll throw another 18,000 BTU's/hr over the XXV, and is roughly the same price. Both are easy to service, although the XXV is a chain drive unit, whereas the P68 is direct drive....also, the bin is bigger in the p68, as well as the ash pan being larger as well. The stoves look totally different, so aesthetics might come into play here. The XXV is quieter than the p68 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.