Harman PF 100 pipe clean out - fan running?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitmo234

Dec 1, 2010
Oxford, PA
Is there any problem, other than getting dirty, to setting my furnace to the test setting so the exhaust fan is running but no fire is burning (nothing is hot) and using a drill/brush cleaning combo for cleaning my pipe?

I tried it once and it seemed to work okay but had the thought that i may damage the fan if I kept it up, although I didnt seem to hit anything going into the pipe.

Thoughts?

I run the combustion blower on mine while cleaning the vent (short horizontal) and have no problems. My brush doesn't get into the fan cavity, so there's no mechanical issue, and blocking the vent for a few seconds at a time doesn't hurt the motor, either.
I'd say go for it!

no, I dont see a problem, as long as you cant run the brush into the combustion fan.....and dont mind getting dirty.

Remove your ESP (probe) first. I think it sits across the opening of the vent pipe connection of the PF100. If you run your brush down there you might bend it.

I do the same thing during my cleanings....put the stove in test mode and get the comb. blower running.....it's great for keeping loose ash from flying out into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.