Harman PF 100 Problem? Maybe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
My friend has a Harmon PF100

The question is this.

Is the viewing window found in the outside door of the unit supposed to be sealed? When running, there is GOBS of air coming out of here which in my mind would seem to be a big waste. If he wanted heat in the basement, we would have dropped a duct.

Is this open viewing hole nomral? Or is there a pice of glass missing?

thanks! Believe it or not, the dealer is no help. Very dissapointed.

pen

Funny you should mention this. I just came across the street from my neighbor's who is still hooking his up. To make sure we're talking about the same thing, looking at the stove standing on the side, the blower is on the left and the pellet hopper is on the right. There is a door on the side, with a smaller unfinished door inside. I believe his has a glass in the hole. I just had it open no more than 10 minutes ago trying to see the autoignition system. Wish I had read this first, but Im 99% sure there was glass in the inner door.

thanks, how about glass in the outer door? His certainly has glass to see inside if it is burning, but it doesn't have any on the outer door.

so when the blower is running, there is (what I would guess) about 50cfm (maybe even more, it is a lot) coming out of that opening in the outer door.

pen

There is a sealed glass in the inner door. There is not a glass in the outer door, and there is air normally circulating around there from the circulation fan area...at least on mine.

Rattlesnake said:
There is a sealed glass in the inner door. There is not a glass in the outer door, and there is air normally circulating around there from the circulation fan area...at least on mine.

Thanks! If that is normal then I guess there is nothing wrong with it. Just seems strange that they would waste so much air in the basement with this type of furance. Certainly won't see that kind of leakage on an oil fired furnaces that I have seen.

pen

All I know is that it dries my eyes out when sit with my forehead to the furnace and gaze at the fire. Yep...I really have nothing better to do. ;^>

I place my snow boots in front of that window. Nice and toasty in the morning. It does seem like a waste but my basement went from 55 to 65oF after installing the PF100. The wood floor on the first level no longer freezes your feet to walk on.

Status
Not open for further replies.