Harman PF100 Hot Air Pellet Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vgrund

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2005
Amherst, NH
Anybody own a pellet furnace? Putting current fuel shortages aside for a moment, it's an interesting concept.

http://www.harmanstoves.com/features.asp?id=24

I have been told these can be installed in a configuration that keeps an existing forced-air furnace in place as a backup (and possibly as the air handler - not sure about that). I wonder if this would work with zoned duct systems. I have 4 thermostats scattered about my house controlling different zones.

Victor

Yes, the PF100 is designed to be in tandem with an existing FA furnace. In fact, that is really the only practical way to use it in a residential application. You could run out of pellets and your pipes would freeze if you did not have the other furnace set a few degrees lower than the PF.

That being said, I would think having 4 zones would present some large technical challenges. Most dealers shy away from the PF100 because of the plenum pressure measurement issues and basic sheet metal issues which are new to them. I recommend that they partner with an HVAC company to handle the installation and those guys can handle the ducting questions as well.

You might see if your dealer will work with an HVAC contractor.

SMK

Status
Not open for further replies.