Harman PP38+ eating up pellets at alarming rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harman pp38+

Jan 7, 2015
Connecticut
My Harman PP38+ got a new control board with a temp probe, also a new ESP. My stove is in the fireplace. Since putting this new control board in my stove has been eating pellets up. This wasn't so with my old control board. I seem to be going through a bag a day or more. Before it was a bag every 2 days or more depending on how cold it was outside. I have feed rate on a little over L, stove temp set at 63-65 and speed rate between 2 to 3. Probe I have taped to the side on the wood for the mantel.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Not happy camper since the new control board was put in and it is eating up the pellets.

Move or extend the probe and give that a try. Be interesting to know if the board has the right dip switch settings too.

when you say "day", do you mean 24 hours? We are burning ours 24/7 and we are at least 2 bags in a 24 hour period. Granted, it's in a 3500 sq ft open house and i think most of it is going through the ceiling!

Try stove mode instead, which is like the old board. I believe someone else had the same issue with new board. Room temp mode was using way more pellets

Last edited:
Your settngs are confusing. Please clarify. When you say "in the fireplace" what do you mean? What do you mean by "speed rate"? Get your pellet feed rate up to 4. Sounds like you are strangling the stove. Let the algorithms do the work. How much area are you trying to heat? Have you researched the dip switch settings? Are they compatible with the new ESP? I'm using about a bag-and-a-half max per day and it was -7f this morning. Have you changed your brand of pellets? Are you comparing operation at similar outside temps?

Move or extend the probe and give that a try. Be interesting to know if the board has the right dip switch settings too.
Thanks for responding, and sorry I'm am just responding now to your email. I have moved the probe, but still not being able to control the fire like I use to. As for the dip switch setting, I have no idea. I am assuming that what it was set to is how it was installed. I found the paper, but I am at a loss on how to read it.

I have the pellet stove in front of the fireplace, with the pipes going up the chimney. It is not an insert, it is a freestanding pellet stove. I have no idea about the dip switch, as it was put in by a company who service stoves. I am using green team as pellets and these worked fine for me last year.

Heres a copy of recommended dip switch settings

Attachments

• scan0015.pdf
    238.3 KB · Views: 203
Have you tried room temp mode? I agree that dipswitch settings must be checked and that your feed setting is too low.

My Harman PP38+ got a new control board with a temp probe, also a new ESP. My stove is in the fireplace. Since putting this new control board in my stove has been eating pellets up. This wasn't so with my old control board. I seem to be going through a bag a day or more. Before it was a bag every 2 days or more depending on how cold it was outside. I have feed rate on a little over L, stove temp set at 63-65 and speed rate between 2 to 3. Probe I have taped to the side on the wood for the mantel.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Not happy camper since the new control board was put in and it is eating up the pellets.

1 bag every 2 days. Doesn't seem right, in this cold weather it should be more like 2 per day...? If your running 24/7.

A bag in 2 days would bring the feed rate under a pound an hour and the stove is supposed to have a maintenance burn of a pound an hour or 8 thousand btus. I have only heard of one stove ever going below a pound an hour.

A P-38 can burn up about 4.5 pounds of pellets per hour.

Eric

Reactions: gfreek
Status
Not open for further replies.