Harman PP38+ Won't feed pellets, no visible clogs or motor problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack05oak

Mar 23, 2009
Worcester County, MA.
I have a Harman PP38+ that will not continue to run because pellets aren't being fed into the pot. Pellets placed in the pot burn perfectly, but no new pellets are fed into the pot to keep the flame going. The blower, motor and auger all seem to be operating, there are no visible clogs, and the stove is relatively clean. The problem must be between the hopper and the pot. The slide plate moves about a half inch to let pellets drop down from the hopper, I'm not sure it that's right or not. Either way, nothing is fed through, even though the auger turns. I'm not sure if the problem is with the slide plate or the auger. I've tried it with a full hopper, and I've tried putting a small amount into the empty hopper, with no difference. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me? I would appreciate any help I can get before I spend $150 on a service call. Thanks!

jack05oak said:
I have a Harman PP38+ that will not continue to run because pellets aren't being fed into the pot. Pellets placed in the pot burn perfectly, but no new pellets are fed into the pot to keep the flame going. The blower, motor and auger all seem to be operating, there are no visible clogs, and the stove is relatively clean. The problem must be between the hopper and the pot. The slide plate moves about a half inch to let pellets drop down from the hopper, I'm not sure it that's right or not. Either way, nothing is fed through, even though the auger turns. I'm not sure if the problem is with the slide plate or the auger. I've tried it with a full hopper, and I've tried putting a small amount into the empty hopper, with no difference. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me? I would appreciate any help I can get before I spend $150 on a service call. Thanks!

sounds like pellets are bridged in your chute between hopper and auger. had that happen once with my harman advance. pulled the slide plate and fashioned a "probe" with a wire clothes hanger and stuck it down the chute...it cleared the clog and could hear pellets fall. unit must be off and cool. If you have a vacuum cleaner that blows air...that could work too.

Honestly, I`ve never taken a good look at the slide plate in my P38 so I can`t help much but a small 1/2 inch opening doesn`t sound like it is opening far enough to allow pellets to free fall into the feed auger. I think mine opens more than a 1/2".

When the slide plate moves, can you hear pellets falling into the auger (it'll sounds like tinkle-tinkle (lol))....? The plate could be upside down like GVA says (step goes UP). Sounds like a bridge to me as well......also, what the heck.....while you are in there, clean out the fines container!

I agree that the slide plate does not appear to be opening far enough. I am not sure what the actual travel distance should be on the plate but 1/2 inch does not seem like enough. Could be jammed by pellets or fines preventing it from it's full travel, but it may also have become misaligned.

If the "push arm" with the flap that moves the slide plate is not 90° (perpendicular) to the feed body, the slide plate may be binding, preventing it opening all the way. This would probably be evident by noises when the feed motor is on.

I had the same problem last winter with my P38. The problem was carbon built up in the opening where the pellets drop into the auger. I had to pull the auger out and clean out the carbon from the pellet opening. If you don't here the pellets dropping into the auger tube (usually a tinkling sound) you probably have the same problem. Hope this helps.

HarmanP382000 said:
I had the same problem last winter with my P38. The problem was carbon built up in the opening where the pellets drop into the auger. I had to pull the auger out and clean out the carbon from the pellet opening. If you don't here the pellets dropping into the auger tube (usually a tinkling sound) you probably have the same problem. Hope this helps.

How is carbon building up at that end of the auger?

I had issues with my outside air (something was partially blocking the air intake) this caused the fire to burn back into the auger. If you open the hopper and smell smoke you might have a similar issue.

Check the set screw where the auger motor drives the auger.
If the screw has worked loose, the auger motor can turn all
day long without turning the auger itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.