Harman Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
Does anybody know if it is ok to switch between room temp mode and stove temp mode while the stove is running, or must it be shut down first?

Not a prob.

I have switched back and forth. It does not shut down,

10-4 thanks, I just did it too and all is good. Trying to figure out what I like better, what are you using?

Room temp auto for now. Will go to room temp manual when it gets colder.

Room temp here.

This is my first season, but I have tried the following:

Room Temp/Auto
Stove Temp/auto
Room Temp/Manual

With Room/Auto, the stove comes on only when needed.

With Stove/Auto I found my room temps to continue to rise over time because the temp focus was on the stove.

With Room/Manual, the fire will increase and decrease as needed to keep the room temp constant but not go out (unless you run out of pellets!) Running this mode I have found the room temps perhaps 2 - 3 degrees above what the stove is set at...at least for this time of year.

WOW, stove temp really throws out the heat and only on number 3. A little too over whelming for right now.

WOW, stove temp really throws out the heat and only on number 3. A little too over whelming for right now.

What mode are you in?

This is my first season, but I have tried the following:

Room Temp/Auto
Stove Temp/auto
Room Temp/Manual

With Room/Auto, the stove comes on only when needed.

With Stove/Auto I found my room temps to continue to rise over time because the temp focus was on the stove.

With Room/Manual, the fire will increase and decrease as needed to keep the room temp constant but not go out (unless you run out of pellets!) Running this mode I have found the room temps perhaps 2 - 3 degrees above what the stove is set at...at least for this time of year.
Yea Melissa, I am finding the same thing with mine. This is also my first year with a Harman, I have also had a Quad for 4 years.

Stove temp 3 will crank some heat. How many BTU's is the Accentra?

Stove temp 3 will crank some heat. How many BTU's is the Accentra?
40,000 BTU. Guess I will need to try 1 or 2 in stove temp when it gets colder outside.

I don't know how that would compare with my P-61, but when I crank that thing up, it's pretty impressive. I stopped by the dealer where I bought my stove a couple of weeks ago on a cold moring. It was around 10:30. He only heats his store with his stoves and turns them off at night. He had a P-68 going set at 75 in room/auto. It was still trying to get the place up to that temp. I could not believe the amount of heat that thing was putting out. I've pretty much babied my stove to this point and never really push it. No longer after seeing that.

yes, i was asking WITHOUT asking :p pros and cons would be nice too i like them, look nice
Well, it is really kinda early to tell, hasn't been really cold. But here is what I have so far. I like the burn pot of the Harman better, I think the Quads auto clean needs some rethinking. I also like that the Accentra has the low maint. burn option other than reaching temp and shutting down. I think the Quad allows for too much temp swings because of the shut down and auto cleans. That said, the Quad is a real work horse and puts out a lot of heat. I just find the Harman to be a lot less of a maintenance problem. I have had trouble in the past with hard clinker formations forming on the Quad pot floor and not opening or closing properly causing shut down. I have had to grind the floor with a Dremel tool a couple times a week. Once again it is really early but I think if I would have to buy another one at some point, it would be a Harman.

ya that mt vernon sucks, ill give ya $500 for it :cool:
Didn't say it sucks, but I was being honest. I still will not part ways with it until she quits on me and hopefully that is a long time away. Gotta remember that I did originally choose that over the Harman when I first made a stove purchase. I won the Harman, or I wouldn't have that either.

How many BTU's does the Quad put out?

How many BTU's does the Quad put out?
Yea, I know, she did heat my entire house for 4 years prior. That's why she will always have a home here.

no man im not saying that, i was just joking trying to score a deal :p honesty is always the best policy. i was going harman at first then enviro and settled on the quad because of dealer wait time for the harman and price i couldnt pass up the AE for 3200
I know, just razzing you back. When I first bought the Quad, I was looking for multi-fuel, I burned corn, and I don't like the looks of the PC45, I like the old cast look. Now I will have the P stove people mad at me.:confused:

Reactions: oldmountvernon
If I had the choice of a Mt. Vernon or a Harman. The choice is clear...... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.