Harman scraping tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Harman scraping tool is fine but I checked out the Sears gasket tools and Think I will get them...
my Harman tool will be used to scrape the heat exchanger which is just soft fly ash anyway.

See my pic of the Harbor Freight offset long handle paint brush earlier in this thread. It works super well on the soft fly ash everywhere inside the stove, it especially works well up in the heat exchanger because it is offset and allows the fly ash to fall down quickly and keep your hands that much freer of falling ash. And my wife never really liked listening to the sound of the Harman triangle scraping the bevels. And it evens cleans the area up top just inside the door frame and between the baffles ( I stroke the brush vigorously left to right here ) because the bristles fit nicely in that space.

See my pic of the Harbor Freight offset long handle paint brush earlier in this thread. It works super well on the soft fly ash everywhere inside the stove, it especially works well up in the heat exchanger because it is offset and allows the fly ash to fall down quickly and keep your hands that much freer of falling ash. And my wife never really liked listening to the sound of the Harman triangle scraping the bevels. And it evens cleans the area up top just inside the door frame and between the baffles ( I stroke the brush vigorously left to right here ) because the bristles fit nicely in that space.
And it evens cleans the area up top just inside the door frame and between the baffles
That's the area that gets ash all over my hands as it falls down.. [unless I hit it with the shopvac 1st...]

Go to an auto parts store and get a mechanics pry bar.
Chuck

I have just about worn out my original Harman scraping tool (not the triangle end ) after going thru about 8 tons or so. As we all know, it can take a fair amount of effort to scrape and remove the black carbon build up on the burn plate. The scraping edge has become rounded out, it being made from softer stainless steel. I could just grind a fresh edge on it, but never really felt that Harman had a good design on such an essential cleaning tool. It is not comfortable to hold, and not really stiff enough or long enough or hold an edge long enough to be considered a well designed tool. Anyone agree with me? What alternatives have proven to be better? Has any one designed a home made tool that works better? Or a better solution available to purchase? I bet fellow forum members have come up with a better tool. On the plus side, the triangle end does seem to work good for cleaning the heat exchanger, but I have found a long offset wooden handle 2 inch paint brush ($3) from Harbor Freight does an even better job cleaning the top and sides of the stove.

Old thread, but this is what I use for my new 52i, sharpened and bent screwdriver and pointy nail brazed to old screwdriver to unclog burnpot holes.

tools.jpg

Along with the Harman tool and assorted brushes and gasket scraper, I use an old Mac Tools cotter pin puller to loosen up the carbon. It works great on the air holes too.
Looks like this:
$T2eC16V,!w8FIdVuIQ,SBSOn,Fho!w~~60_57.JPG

Reactions: Peterfield
I
And it evens cleans the area up top just inside the door frame and between the baffles
That's the area that gets ash all over my hands as it falls down.. [unless I hit it with the shopvac 1st...]
I have learned to brush the above area from left to right using my left hand to midway, then right to left with my right hand and this keeps
the ash from falling on my hand..
also these are my scrapers... very cheap priced.

Attachments

• 1395794_728688140492931_894080440_n.jpg
    1395794_728688140492931_894080440_n.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 205
I use the Harman tool with the triangle on one end to clear the ashes and the long handled "carbide" tool that came with my PF120 furnace to clean the caked on carbon off the burn pot, it takes it right off no problem. I'm not positive that I'm using it for it's intended purpose but it works quite well. It does seem somewhat oversize for the job though, in the future I plan on making my own from a piece of undercut carbide fastened to a steel handle, probably only about half this size though.

Attachments

• 20141216_161604.jpg
    20141216_161604.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 20141216_161619.jpg
    20141216_161619.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 257
I use the Harman tool with the triangle on one end to clear the ashes and the long handled "carbide" tool that came with my PF120 furnace to clean the caked on carbon off the burn pot, it takes it right off no problem. I'm not positive that I'm using it for it's intended purpose but it works quite well. It does seem somewhat oversize for the job though, in the future I plan on making my own from a piece of undercut carbide fastened to a steel handle, probably only about half this size though.
Now thats a really good idea, I may have one in the shop some where!

Nothing this boy will not remove. Heavy steel- It is a perfect angle with an edge that can be resharpened and you can use both hands. About 12" Long. Made for scraping up floor tiles. Buy it on Amazon!

Attachments

• Bully Floor Tool.jpg
    Bully Floor Tool.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: elevenMracing
Go to an auto parts store and get a mechanics pry bar.

pretty much everything here mentioned here will work so it's preference allthough I think I'll save the pry bar for pryin...

Last edited:
This post typifies why this forum is so good. Kudos to all the ideas. I'm heading to Harbor Freight tomorrow morning.

This post typifies why this forum is so good. Kudos to all the ideas. I'm heading to Harbor Freight tomorrow morning.
I just bought a 4 pk. of gasket scrapers there for $4.99. Decent quality too for HF. They are all black with black rubber handles. I think the package background was green. Found them by the paint scrapers and putty knives but your store might have a different idea in where to hide them. Thought they'd be next to automotive stuff. The scraping heads are different widths too. I also picked up a little set of picks with orange handles like dental picks. They were $1.99 and also in a 4 pk with various angled heads. Slightly bent one but I was thrashing it on something else then. Still good to go.

While you are there you could grab a cheap set of leather welding gloves too. Then you can do you daily pot scrape anytime. I do.

Cheap works good for this application. More pellet cash left. I'm a contractor and buy good expensive tools but for pot scraping I am cool with slumming it. I looked like a ghetto rat after my big time clean today.:cool:

I just bought a 4 pk. of gasket scrapers there for $4.99. Decent quality too for HF. They are all black with black rubber handles. I think the package background was green. Found them by the paint scrapers and putty knives but your store might have a different idea in where to hide them. Thought they'd be next to automotive stuff. The scraping heads are different widths too. I also picked up a little set of picks with orange handles like dental picks. They were $1.99 and also in a 4 pk with various angled heads. Slightly bent one but I was thrashing it on something else then. Still good to go.

While you are there you could grab a cheap set of leather welding gloves too. Then you can do you daily pot scrape anytime. I do.

Cheap works good for this application. More pellet cash left. I'm a contractor and buy good expensive tools but for pot scraping I am cool with slumming it. I looked like a ghetto rat after my big time clean today.:cool:

Everyone getting stuff that works well for the pot scraper at HF, and I'm stuck here with not a one within 1.5 hours of me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.