Harman Seminar Highlights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessoil

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2008
Western Maine
Held at Northern Lights in Farmington
He covered maintenance & cleaning items and answered many questions.

Key items that I picked up on:
1) He noted that if the best part of a Pine tree and the best part of an Oak tree were used to make pellets, there would be little difference in performance.
He did give a slight advantage to softwood for ash. The main differences are introduced by the manufacturer.
2) The combustion fan speed should be set to middle position. Ours is maxed out which he said can lower the burn pot temp.
3) The "Fines" catch box needs to be cleaned every 1-2 yrs. I plan to check every year.
4) The new style ignitors have 15 fins vs 13 on older ones.
5) Clean the ESP probe gently with water, alcohol and even Gin. I'll drink the Gin instead!
6) If the ESP probe gets bent even a little, it is most probably bad. Thin wire inside is not supposed to touch the sides.
7) He said that running the stove in "Room Temp" mode is the most efficient mode.
8) Suggested spraying a light coat of WD-40 to the inside for Summer months to prevent rust. Spraying burn pot area OK also.
9) Stove shutdowns: Have noticed that the stove actually feeds pellets while shutting down. (Turning temp down)
This is normal and is an attempt to prevent fire making its' way past the auger and into the hopper. GOOD IDEA!!

A local Access TV Station filmed this and may be able to offer copies.
I will get the info if anyone is interested.

Thank you lessoil for reporting to us Harman owners. You've helped me to know my stove better. The WD-40 tip is good for all stove owners off season.

On my Advance the "Fines catch box" (I think) would be the area behind the ash bin which I clean every time I empty the ashes.

The Advance manual calls your #2 the "Mode Selector" with "Distribution Blower speed adjustment range." I think the room distribution blower could lower my burn pot temperature through the heat exchanger so I prefer mine just above midway. I don't have a combustion fan adjustment that I know of (other than opening the fuel bin so the intake has less resistance). ;-P for those with the new fangeled "low draft sensor" which prevents this.

I'll be gentler cleaning near my 'probe' so thanks again,
Jay

lessoil said:
Held at Northern Lights in Farmington
He covered maintenance & cleaning items and answered many questions.

Key items that I picked up on:
1) He noted that if the best part of a Pine tree and the best part of an Oak tree were used to make pellets, there would be little difference in performance.
He did give a slight advantage to softwood for ash. The main differences are introduced by the manufacturer.
2) The combustion fan speed should be set to middle position. Ours is maxed out which he said can lower the burn pot temp.
3) The "Fines" catch box needs to be cleaned every 1-2 yrs. I plan to check every year.
4) The new style ignitors have 15 fins vs 13 on older ones.
5) Clean the ESP probe gently with water, alcohol and even Gin. I'll drink the Gin instead!
6) If the ESP probe gets bent even a little, it is most probably bad. Thin wire inside is not supposed to touch the sides.
7) He said that running the stove in "Room Temp" mode is the most efficient mode.
8) Suggested spraying a light coat of WD-40 to the inside for Summer months to prevent rust. Spraying burn pot area OK also.
9) Stove shutdowns: Have noticed that the stove actually feeds pellets while shutting down. (Turning temp down)
This is normal and is an attempt to prevent fire making its' way past the auger and into the hopper. GOOD IDEA!!

A local Access TV Station filmed this and may be able to offer copies.
I will get the info if anyone is interested.

This is a great idea. I have been doing stove seminars every year. Great way to get info to my customers and promote sales of older products which means great deals to the buyer.

Good post
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.