Harman slow to ignite, lots of sparks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
The other day I noticed what appeared to be an unusually high number of sparks flying out of the burnpot of my Harman advance. I didn't think too much of it at the time.

The next day, I came home and the stove had shutdown (I forgot to load pellets before I left). It wasn't too cold in the house yet, so I decided to take this opportunity to give the burnpot a good scrape. 5 minutes later, I loaded the pellets and fired the stove back up.

10 minutes later, no ignition. This has never happened to me and my stove... usually lights up in 4-6 minutes. I let it go for another 10 minutes or so, but no luck. So, I take the pellets out of the burnpot (which are hot, but not black in any areas), roll out the shop vac and give the burnpot a more thorough cleaning.

2nd try and the stove ignites... though took longer than usual (10 minutes or so).

Yesterday was in the mid-50s. So I decided to give the stove an even more intensive cleaning. Burnpot and fly, hopper, ash pan, glass... pretty much everything but the back of the stove and the vent pipe.

Start it back up, and again... no ignition (15 minutes or so). So, since I didn't know what else to do, I emptied the burn pot of pellets, and tried again. This time it ignited.

So, I'm at a bit of a loss. I've looked at the board read stuff about vent leaks (Is there an easy way to test for leaks?), low/high airflow (can I adjust air flow on the Advance?), lazy flames (how do I know if I have a lazy flame... or is it one of those things where you'd know if you saw it) etc... but I figured I'd see if anyone has experienced anything similar, or if anything in my story rings any bells.

I'm still seeing plenty of sparks, but now I'm not sure if it's in my head since I had the ignition problem... I don't really remember seeing as many sparks before my ignition issue, but who knows.

Thanks in advance!

When you cleaned out the burn pot, did you remove the two thumb screws (wing nuts) and clean under the burn pot where the ignitor is?

Also, if it is not lighting after 15 minutes, are you seeing any status lights flashing (a blink code) on your control board?

When you ran out of pellets did you put it in test mode for 60 seconds to prime the augor?

codebum said:
When you cleaned out the burn pot, did you remove the two thumb screws (wing nuts) and clean under the burn pot where the ignitor is?

Also, if it is not lighting after 15 minutes, are you seeing any status lights flashing (a blink code) on your control board?

When you ran out of pellets did you put it in test mode for 60 seconds to prime the augor?

Yep, cleaned beneath the burnpot.

I didn't check the lights, but I don't think so. I believe the manual said it would take 30 minutes before it would give me indicator lights.

I did not put it in test mode... I'll try that next time.

have you changed pellets recently?
Sparks are the fines burning....
Did you.....
Chip away the Carbon (clinker) buildup at the base of the burnpot?
Make sure all the holes in the burnpot are clear?
Tap the burn pot a couple of times to shake the ash out of the ignitor?

Could have too little airflow through the stove at startup....
How many bags have you run through since the last cleaning?
---------If more than 30 you should think about full cleaning..

Could have too much airflow through the stove at startup.......
Check to make sure the intake flapper isn't stuck wide open...
EDIT
I should add the ignitor could be weak......

I don't think I can help with the ignitor problem. My stove usually takes the 4-6 minutes like your used to or does sometimes. There are some other recent posts where folks with Harmans are having some odd ignitor problems. Depending on how old your stove is, I know Harman has improved the ignitors in their recent models. I have an Advance-2 and I was told it has the improved ignitor. If its under warranty, maybe go ahead and get one.

I don't think a vent leak would affect your ignitor this way. I recently discovered a vent pipe leak and after repairing, the flame was a little more intense but not much. The biggest thing is, if there is a leak you will probably smell the fumes. I know Carbon monoxide is orderless but cumbustion fumes and smoke are not. I had a smoke/Carbon monixide detector and it did not go off, yet I could smell smoke and my eyes would burn.

You can adjust the draft somewhat on an Advance. It's a little white flat-head screw type adjustment on the control board. You may need to look close because I know mine was hard to see at first. I have not adjusted mine, but I have heard that you can turn it fully clockwise that back it off a quarter turn. Supposedly this is sufficient for most stoves.

As far as a lazy flame...you would probably know if you had a lazy flame. Your window would probably soot up and you would not be getting much heat.

I know you have had your stove for awhile but I feel I need to say it anyway, make sure your ash pan and window door seals are sealed tight also.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, GVA's post above reminded me. There are 4 holes down near the bottom of the burn pot near the auger. Make sure their clear. Sometimes they are hard to notice they are even there because of the ashes.

Thanks again guys for the advice.

Ok, I didn't realize that sparks are usually the fines burning... I am using a new brand this year and I did notice an increase in fines at the bottom of the bag (recently I've tried my best to keep them from going in my hopper... anyone have a good way to sift the fines? I usually dump the bag straight in the hopper). So, that may solve that mystery.

I'm pretty good about getting the clinkers. I use the Harman scraper as well as an old screwdriver and hammer to break up as much as I can. A chisel is on my x-mas list if any of you are feeling generous.

Flapper...? Is that in the back of the stove? Is that the damper? I guess my question is, how do you know if you have the air intake set right? Is it just a trial and error type of situation, or what?

I've actually only had my stove for 1+ year (came with the house I purchased... not sure how old it is), so don't take any suggestions for granted. I think my ashpan is sealed as much as it can be... same with the window door, though I've noticed that it's harder to close this year than last (that damned handle is stubborn!).

As for leaks, yeah I don't think I have any. No smoke smells and I have Carbon Monoxide detectors not far from the stove... no issues yet. I'm assuming that smoke smell would be the big tip off, correct (I'm basing this on what I've read on the board so far)?

To sift the fines at the bottom of a single bag of pellets I did the following. Take a plastic coffee container or any pail and drill a bunch of 3/16" holes in the bottom of it. Make whatever pretty pattern you want with the holes. Once I have most of my bag poured in the hopper, I pour the rest in the holy container. (Make sure it is sitting on or in something so the fines don't get all over the floor). Shake the container over the trash or wherever. Works like a flour sifter. Then pour the remaining cleaned fines in the hopper.

I don't think we can control the air intake on the Advance. The control panel will let you adjust the feed rate (auger), the maximum tempature cutoff, and the low-high knob for the distribution blower which distributes the air into the room. I believe the combustion/intake air is mostly controlled by the electronics (control panel logic). Hopefully someone will correct me on that if I am wrong, but I don't have any idea where to adjust it.

codebum said:
To sift the fines at the bottom of a single bag of pellets I did the following. Take a plastic coffee container or any pail and drill a bunch of 3/16" holes in the bottom of it. Make whatever pretty pattern you want with the holes. Once I have most of my bag poured in the hopper, I pour the rest in the holy container. (Make sure it is sitting on or in something so the fines don't get all over the floor). Shake the container over the trash or wherever. Works like a flour sifter. Then pour the remaining cleaned fines in the hopper.

This begs the question, what creative use have you found for the fines now that you've isolated them? ;)

abrucerd said:
codebum said:
.... I pour the rest in the holy container......

This begs the question, what creative use have you found for the fines now that you've isolated them? ;)

I'm still trying to figure what makes it a "holy" container.......Did he take it to church every Sunday????

Its a holy container because if you need to use it, you'll say holy $@#! look at all those fines ;-)

abrucerd...You can keep the fines if you like. I use them for two things. When I change my cars oil I always seem to get some on the floor. So, use it as oil absorbant. Also, my driveway starts out up a hill, so in the winter when my drive is slick and my car is spinning wheels, the fines or sawdust sprinkled on the snow and ice make for good traction.

codebum said:
Its a holy container because if you need to use it, you'll say holy $@#! look at all those fines ;-)
:lol: I kinda figured that :lol:

codebum said:
...in the winter when my drive is slick and my car is spinning wheels, the fines or sawdust sprinkled on the snow and ice make for good traction.

Now THAT'S a great idea. I'm sold.

Off to the Vatican to pickup my Holy Container.

Hi,
If your burn pot is the same as the XXV, where all the holes are located that blow the air out. The last row of holes toward the auger is where the igniter is placed. If that row of holes get plugged the igniter will have a much harder time heating the pellets. Also you really need a small mirror to see that row of holes. Just use a 90* pick to carefully open the holes if they are plugged. My 2 cents..................................

abrucerd said:
Flapper...? Is that in the back of the stove? Is that the damper? I guess my question is, how do you know if you have the air intake set right? Is it just a trial and error type of situation, or what?
yes it's in the back of the stove but you can't adjust it.
it opens and closes based on the speed of combustion blower and the draft.
so check to make sure it swings freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.