Harman Stove Inverter Generator Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountainmike

Jan 30, 2019
Western Maryland
Yesterday I purchased a HF Predator 2000 generator. It is supposed to be a pure sine wave unit.

In the event of a power outage, can I just fire up the generator and run an extension cord through a window to power my stove? Do I need anything else?

I've been heating with my P61a for years, and even though I live in a remote area, I have pretty reliable electrical service (knock on wood). I am hoping I will only ever need this generator for camping.

Thanks!

If it's a good sine wave, then yes, it will just run on an extension cord as normal. However, if the Harman sees a bad sine wave like in a non pure sine inverter, it should go into shutdown mode which is the default dipswitch setting. As an example, I know you're talking generator, but when I tested my P43 on my battery backup which has a pure sine wave inverter, the stove ran perfectly.

Reactions: mountainmike
Yesterday I purchased a HF Predator 2000 generator. It is supposed to be a pure sine wave unit.

In the event of a power outage, can I just fire up the generator and run an extension cord through a window to power my stove? Do I need anything else?

I've been heating with my P61a for years, and even though I live in a remote area, I have pretty reliable electrical service (knock on wood). I am hoping I will only ever need this generator for camping. I assume with your S wave setup u would be fine.

Thanks!
Have gone thru 5-6 power outages in the past with a harmanP61A. I use my generac generator and a 10 circuit transfer box that powers most of the house including the harman. Never had a problem. Standard generator.. so assume u should be fine with your sine wave setup.

Of course, be careful of carbon monoxide with the window cracked open. Hopefully the generator isn't too close to the window and the exhaust is pointing away.

Best answer is to try it out before the power goes out.

And, of course this

Of course, be careful of carbon monoxide with the window cracked open. Hopefully the generator isn't too close to the window and the exhaust is pointing away.
And probably stuff old towels or insulation in the crack to keep out the cold air - that is not a fix for not having the generator situated properly regardless of whether the air flow thru the window is blocked or not - just a fix for having more cold air entering the house.

I've been heating with my P61a for years, and even though I live in a remote area, I have pretty reliable electrical service (knock on wood). I am hoping I will only ever need this generator for camping.

Thanks!
The HF Predator2000 inverter genny is a good unit. It will do the job just fine. I would use it a couple times BEFORE you need it! Do the break-in oil change, use a fuel stabilizer ALWAYS, and you're good to go. Ethanol free gas is best, but if not available, use at least 89 octane gas. Use quality extension cables. As "bogieb" said, use a couple towels to seal the window when you run a cord thru it. I use my inverter genny to run my stove, cable and tv's. I also use a good surge protector too. Will run all day on a gallon of gas. The rest of the house gets the big, thirsty "dirty" genny.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a pretty good spot that I think will work to set it up and keep the house free of co. I also figure that I will use towels or ac insulation to seal up the gap in my window when I run the cord through. I got a 50 foot cord, so I can keep the generator a decent distance from my house.

I already have a couple of co detectors.

Although I live in a pretty remote location, there is a power substation not far from me, so my electric is pretty dependable. The only long outage we've had was with hurricane Sandy. We were out for 2 weeks then.

Again, thanks for the replies!

Reactions: bogieb
The HF Predator2000 inverter genny is a good unit. It will do the job just fine. I would use it a couple times BEFORE you need it! Do the break-in oil change, use a fuel stabilizer ALWAYS, and you're good to go. Ethanol free gas is best, but if not available, use at least 89 octane gas. Use quality extension cables. As "bogieb" said, use a couple towels to seal the window when you run a cord thru it. I use my inverter genny to run my stove, cable and tv's. I also use a good surge protector too. Will run all day on a gallon of gas. The rest of the house gets the big, thirsty "dirty" genny.

I have run it a little bit and it seems decent for the price.

I just got a magnetic dipstick and an hour meter for it. I am hoping to keep it in top shape.

I also got a dedicated gas can and a bottle of fuel stabilizer.