Harman Stove (PC-45) won't light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chiroman

Oct 6, 2011
eastern canada
Hi All,

Been reading the posts and haven't seen anything about this so i thought I would share my experiences with my stove so far:

On 2 occasions the stove would not light and there were 2 different causes.

1. The ignitor burned out. There was no glow and the auger and air pump were running. TIP - Something my dealer didn't tell me until I burned out the 2nd ignitor! On the PC-45 if the ignitor burns out ALWAYS CHECK THE AIRPUMP to make sure it is pumping lots of air. If not, there is a "rebuild" kit(which actually should be under recall)for it. All it is is a teflon pad that makes the moving parts inside the airpump stop grinding on each other. Sure beats buying a new pump though. If you replace the ignitor with a faulty air pump it will not light the fuel at best and will burn out the ignitor at worst.

2. The auger and air pump would not run even on test mode. The cause was an issue with the low pressure switch. I thought the switch was toast but actually it wasn't. There is a small tube that runs from the switch into the firebox. This can get clogged with soot and interfere with the airflow making the stove think the door is open. Just blow out the hose and away you go. Don't blow out the switch with compressed air though(according to the dealer) as it could damage the bladder inside the switch.

I hope this helps someone.

These forums are an awesome aid to everyone. There used to be a great do-it-yourself website too but I think Harman forced the guy to shut it down. Not sure, but I think it's gone now. Was it harmaninfo.com?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.