Harman Thermostat Wire???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crisratzlaff

Feb 8, 2011
central ks
Where is the best place to put the thermostat wire on a Harman XXV? The owners manual says you can extend it with thermostat wire and put it up to 50 feet away from the stove. Is this a good idea to do this? Or should the end of the wire be close to the stove? Or doesn't it matter?

Chris:
I assume you are asking the recommended distance to place the wall thermostat from the stove. Fifty feet is a long way -- and would make for a very big room. I wonldn't suggest placing the thermostat that far away -- it will make your stove 'cycle' at a low frequency. 'Cycling' is how often the stove ignites and shuts down to keep the temperature constant. A low cycle frequency means the area near the stove will get very hot before the thermostat 'senses' the heat and then turns off the stove. If you do need to mount the thermostat this far away should add additional circulation fans in the room to distribute the heat and make for more uniform room temperature and better control.

More important for thermostat placement than distance is that it be mounted on an inside wall out of direct sunlight. Sunshine through a window will turn the stove off prematurely. I would suggest 10 to 20 feet from the stove and at about eye level - for best temperature control. YOu might also want to keep it away from direct drafts - like an exterior door.

Take care

RonB

Hello

The thermostat should be where you are going to sit or be for the most comfort.

I have a basement install so my thermostat is near the stove. I know what temperature it should be down there to make the upstairs comfortable. Still in my case it would be better to have the thermostat upstairs so I can set it correctly.

I have mine about 3 feet off the floor, right next to the mantle... You just don't want the stat, to be so close to the stove that it makes your stove think it is warmer in the room then it really is...

Status
Not open for further replies.