Harman TL300 in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mason2

Mar 16, 2008
eastern PA
I just purchased my tl300 a couple of weeks ago and I am nervous I made the wrong decision. I put the stove in the basement and it does'nt seem to be putting out much heat.I have been keeping the chimney temp at about 350*-400*. The area that needs to be heated is a Cape Cod style home with an unfinished basement and two stories above, totalling about 3000 sq feet overall. The blower has been back-ordered, so I am wondering if anyone has this model with a blower, does it make that much of a difference in heat output?
I used to burn with an old cast iron Fisher stove, that really put out a lot of heat, and I thought these newer stoves were much better? Any ideas on how to get a better heat flow? Thanks

The 350-400 temp, is that on a single wall or double wall pipe?
And how far up on the pipe is it?

That doesn't sound right. We've had good reports for this stove. It's a big 3 cu ft unit that can put our serious btus. First thing to check is the wood. If it is damp on the interior of the splits, it's going to burn cool.

From what others report with the TL300, I would expect hotter flue temps. A blower will certainly help, but it sounds like the stove should be burning hotter. What kind of stove top temps are you seeing?

You might want to PM James04 for more burning advice with this stove.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11727/

BeGreen said:
That doesn't sound right. We've had good reports for this stove. It's a big 3 cu ft unit that can put our serious btus. First thing to check is the wood. If it is damp on the interior of the splits, it's going to burn cool.

From what others report with the TL300, I would expect hotter flue temps. A blower will certainly help, but it sounds like the stove should be burning hotter. What kind of stove top temps are you seeing?

You might want to PM James04 for more burning advice with this stove.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11727/

Thanks! I have been burning wood for years and I was just suprised at the heat output. I am thinking that the cement in the basement needs to heat up before I see better room temps? I am also thinking of removing all the R19 ceiling insulation to allow the heat to rise a little better? We'll see!

Vent Pipe is single wall and about 2 feet above the stove top, and it is reading 400*
PS...not sure if I am posting or replying correctly... I am still experimenting with this site... and my stove! I appreciate all the advice that anyone has to give!

mason2,

How is the stove working, and are you getting the heat that you needed from the stove?

I have ordered the TL-300, and yet to get it installed.
Since I am installing it in the basement also (8ft block wall ~1000 sq ft, with anywhere between 1 and 4 blocks exposed), I would like to find out how it is working out for you.

It seems to be burning better, but I think framing and insulating the walls under the sheetrock, and getting the blower installed will help alot! It is heating the basement ok, after a few hours but finishing off the basement seems to be what we need to do to get it to really heat the way we need it to. It is a great stove, great features, easy to use... so I hope it works out!

That is my plans also for this year, at least for the sides of the house that have the most block exposure.

When it gets down to -30 it gets a tad bit cold in the house and ice forms on the inside walls near the windows.

Whew! And I thought it was cold here in PA this winter, I can't even imagine -30*! Our entire basement is block exposed with 9 foot ceilings, so we really need to finish it off. Good luck with your new Harman!

mason2 said:
It seems to be burning better, but I think framing and insulating the walls under the sheetrock, and getting the blower installed will help alot! It is heating the basement ok, after a few hours but finishing off the basement seems to be what we need to do to get it to really heat the way we need it to. It is a great stove, great features, easy to use... so I hope it works out!

Good plan. Be sure to put a vapor barrier up or better yet use sheet foam insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.