Harman TL300 Onwers: What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Folks, while out on a sales call, I had some time to kill and dropped in to a stove shop just to look around. they have a 2013 TL300 demo/floor model for sale, asking price $1600.00. Basic black, no blower. Shop owner says it has less than ten burns through it which looked about right.

Having looked at the reviews on this site, and having owned a P61A, there is a high degree of confidence in the construction of Harman stoves. The question relates to "usability"....some posts indicate that this stove needs to run at high temp to get the afterburner to kick in, and if you don't do that, the stove muddles along. It doesn't seem to do well in the shoulder seasons. What has your experience been?

I'm pretty high up on the waiting list for a Woodstock Ideal which seems to be very flexible in its operation; beta testers are indicating it can honk at high heat or hold a low & slow for prolonged periods. There is also no question as to the quality of a Woodstock and their customer service looks to be impeccable.

Could you please let me know what you think. PS, my firewood is excellent (3-year old ash, red and white oak). Thanks.

You have a stove, seems like waiting for the steel until next summer or fall wouldn't be bad. Word is that it will not have a blower if that is important.

I like mine, but my fire never goes out.

It is true that it burns better 24/7,,,because you need a deep coal bed to run it right. So,,that means it takes a fire to make the coal bed before the AB will light. This makes it harder to have the occasional fire,,but once the coal bed is established,,,it rocks.

If you go cold a lot, and build new fires a lot,, I would recommend a different stove.

Last edited:
If you go cold a lot, and build new fires a lot,, I would recommend a different stove.

Agreed. It performs best when fully loaded for long, hot, 24/7 burning in the dead of winter. In shoulder season, I find myself building fires that aren't big/hot enough to close the bypass damper and get a good secondary burn. This means leaving the bypass open, which mean a dirty burn that uses more wood and lets the flue get too hot unless the air is fully shut and/or a pipe-damper is used (making the burn even dirtier... basically it becomes like burning a pre-EPA stove).

Harman is a solidly built stove, but the down-draft technology requires especially good wood, good draft, and good technique/patience. I will be getting a cat for my next stove.

Reactions: jdonna
$1,600 is wonderful deal on a TL-300. I paid $2,100 6 years ago so that is a very good deal.
As for the stove itself it would depend on your wood, your setup, and your overall outside temps.

Folks, thanks for your replies. Given the responses, I'm going to take a pass on this stove. I loved the P61A and have total confidence in the build quality of a TL300, but it seems like an "all or nothing" stove. The Progress Hybrid beta testers are reporting very good flexibility with low & slow or high heat burns and that is the direction that will probably be taken. Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.