Harman TL300 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dairyman

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2011
Southwest MO
Hi everyone new here and love the forum. I'm looking to buy a new stove the tl300 was the first to catch my eye I also like the jotul f600 firelight. My question is is the top load really functional in the pics I've saw it looks small. I'd love to see 1 but the closest 1 is 85 miles away. I'm switching from a King circulator that's been in my house sense before I can remember so I'm accustom to the side load. And my wife is worried that front loading will be a mess. Thanks!

I don't own either stove, but a dealer close by carries the harman stoves, and that is the only way they load their demo stove (from the top). I've watched them, and it looks handy compared to front loading. I would not want to load one of the harmans from the front because of the andirons in the way. Side load would work well, but I can't see why one way would be more or less messy than another. Wood heat can be messy, when I'm doing it. Is your wife worried about dirt and bark, or sparks, coals and ash rolling out the front?

Welcome to the hearth. Someone with experience with both stoves will be by before long.

I have a Leyden with a top load and love it. True, it's the only stove I've ever owned, but I can tell you that I dont' want to load it from the front, ever.
I cannot comment on the Tl300 have a "small" top load door. That wouldn't make sense.
What I will tell you is that the Leyden takes a 21" split, but you won't get that in the stove through the top unless it's standing on its side. Just not enough room to get it horizontal.

Top-load is very handy. I build the fire from the front, but always re-load from the top.

The Jotul is also a great stove, and easier to get the hang of than the Harman (which can be finicky about draft and wood quality).

Thanks everyone for the advice sorry its taken awhile to get back. My wife is mainly concerned about the coals falling out, we are use to a side load with the king. Troutcaster I looked briefly at the lopi I thought the firebox might be a little small for me. How long are you're burn times? I'm also curious am I going to have to start making smaller splits for whichever stove I get? I am a little worried about draft my chimney is going to have right around 15 ft of length. Should that push me in one way or another?

You should have no issues getting wood in through the top loading door.
For me the only time I open the front door is when I am cleaning the back area of the stove to vacuum out the air holes located in the AB system.
I typically only do this around once a week when I empty the ash pan.

If you are considering getting one since it is a downdraft stove you need seasoned wood and good draft in order for it to work properly.
One thing I enjoy about this stove is that it has a drop in grill. The ability to grill something when is is below freezing outside was a major selling point for me.

I routinely get 8-10 hour burns from load to just enough coals to start kindling again. Just depends on wood density and how hard I have to push it.
It's a big firebox, just rectangular instead of box-like.

If you are looking large and want a big, radiant top-loader, also take a look at the Quadrafire Isle Royale.

BeGreen said:
If you are looking large and want a big, radiant top-loader, also take a look at the Quadrafire Isle Royale.

Thanks for the tip I saw it when I first started looking, went back and took anouthe look at it. I wounder why they rate the btu's so low, thats why I passed on it. With a 3 cu ft box I'd think it'll crank out more than that. Choices, so many out there it's hard to pick.

Unfortunately marketing chooses what btu numbers to print. Some print EPA softwood test numbers other print peak btu numbers. And then others report what their testing has shown. Regardless, 66,700 BTUs continuous is not trivial. It cranks out the heat. Many members here have found out. The F600 is also a fine stove if that is your preference.

Funny how it all works out. I called my local quad dealer and we talked stoves for a while. He is also a hearthstone dealer and ended up pushing me towards the Bennington. So it got down to around 20° last night and the wife said to get with it so off we went to look at the tl300. She didn't like what she saw so we looked around and did some talking with the salesman, they we hearthstone dealers to. They had the Bennington on the floor she wasn't that pleased with the side load on it either. I pointed her to the Mansfield in the corner and she fell in love, all this side load and top load searching and I end up with a front load only! So here I am a proud Mansfield owner thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be installing this weekend first to do a slight remodel of the hearth

I'm sure you have just bought yourself a fine stove there. Soapstone has it's unique features that no other material can offer in heating. Don't forget we love pictures here, so we are looking forward to seeing that new stove in place.

I'll tell you though, it just kills me to see the "important" features thrown out the window because of the looks of the stove.

Dairyman said:
Funny how it all works out. I called my local quad dealer and we talked stoves for a while. He is also a hearthstone dealer and ended up pushing me towards the Bennington. So it got down to around 20° last night and the wife said to get with it so off we went to look at the tl300. She didn't like what she saw so we looked around and did some talking with the salesman, they we hearthstone dealers to. They had the Bennington on the floor she wasn't that pleased with the side load on it either. I pointed her to the Mansfield in the corner and she fell in love, all this side load and top load searching and I end up with a front load only! So here I am a proud Mansfield owner thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be installing this weekend first to do a slight remodel of the hearth

Ok we need pics !!! Welcome another Manny stoner !!!! You will, after you get through the learning curve, absolutely LOVE this stove. I know my wife and I do. These things are awesome looking year round. I wanted a stoner stove because of the mass of them, wife saw the Manny and loved it. So it was a win-win situation. If you have any issues/problems be sure to post them here with Mansfield in the header. There are a few Manny owners on this forum that are always happy to help out.

Oh and now you gotta update your sig to include the Mansfield.

[quote author="daleeper" date="1321637829"]I'm sure you have just bought yourself a fine stove there. Soapstone has it's unique features that no other material can offer in heating. Don't forget we love pictures here, so we are looking forward to seeing that new stove in place.

I'll tell you though, it just kills me to see the "important" features thrown out the window because of the looks of the stove.[/quote

Your right about that! And I'm the silly husband spending hours on end trying to find a stove she'll feel safe with. Thankfully it wasn't just the looks that made her like the Mansfield, it has a good sized drop in the front that took away her fear of coals falling out when she opens the door.and its deep enough to load n/s which we both like.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it in the house.

Attachments

• 2011-11-18_08-24-16_155.jpg
    2011-11-18_08-24-16_155.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 232
A couple friends would help. Get a good pair of hump straps for the final positioning.

Dairyman said:
Thankfully it wasn't just the looks that made her like the Mansfield, it has a good sized drop in the front that took away her fear of coals falling out when she opens the door.and its deep enough to load n/s which we both like.

Yes, I was going to suggest a stove that would load n/s, but decided that you already had been instructed to find a top load, so I just let it go. I do understand the concern about coals, and I think the big box loaded north/south will ease her mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.