Harman - Upgrading Ye Old Chain drive and sprockets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Has anyone upgraded their chain drive on the Advance or Accentra to keep the auger drive chain from falling off? Also install a new CCW feed motor for good measure?

Improvements are that the new sprockets are tapered but best of all the thicker auger mounting bracket does not use rubber grommets around the mounting screws that get old and brittle.
The new white guide roller helps too.

See pics

1. Old chain slipping off
2. Old rubber grommets around auger bracket mounting bolts
3. New chain, sprockets and auger mounting bracket next to old chain and auger sprocket on right
4. New auger motor
5. All new pieces installed
6. New 4RPM auger motor installed

Attachments

• HarmanChainDriveUpgrade1.JPG
    HarmanChainDriveUpgrade1.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 1,741
  • HarmanChainDriveUpgrade2.JPG
    HarmanChainDriveUpgrade2.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,464
  • HarmanChainDriveUpgrade3.JPG
    HarmanChainDriveUpgrade3.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 1,378
  • HarmanChainDriveUpgrade4.JPG
    HarmanChainDriveUpgrade4.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,283
  • HarmanChainDriveUpgrade5.JPG
    HarmanChainDriveUpgrade5.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,354
  • HarmanChainDriveUpgrade6.JPG
    HarmanChainDriveUpgrade6.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,141
Not that I have a Harmon because I don't, but I would think a length of X ring chain would be a better replacement in as much as you never have to lubricate it and a spring loaded idler that you never adjust. Just thinking.

I'm curious what year is your stove?

I'm curious what year is your stove?

It is a 1999 Harman Advance. Also upgraded the control panel and swapped out the old black wire analog ESP probe to the new red wire digital ESP probe to get the stove working again!

Reactions: jackman
mine has a chain but I havent had a problem with it. Probably because I only run about 20 bags through it a winter.

mine has a chain but I havent had a problem with it. Probably because I only run about 20 bags through it a winter.

You may want to get the upgraded chain and sprocket set to have as a spare. Most shops have to special order it and that takes time. Nice to have if you really need it right away.

How many tons did yours last? What was the parts cost? Have a first gen Accentra....got it lightly used. Hope I don't have to go here anytime soon

How many tons did yours last? What was the parts cost? Have a first gen Accentra....got it lightly used. Hope I don't have to go here anytime soon

The stove is a 1999 so not sure how many tons went threw it, but it was under heavy use the past few years.

Don2222, I have an older Harman Accentra-2 stove that has the 3.5" & 2.5" sprockets. I have ordered new sprockets (both now 3.5", chain and tensioner (told they no longer use the 2.5" sprocket). Found this thread you posted in 2010 while doing an internet search. Just wondering if there are any secrets on replacing the sprockets? I hope to do this without pulling the stove (reaching in behind). Is a sprocket puller required? will the original gear motor bracket still work? (store that I purchased the parts said it would). The sprockets have worn and the 2.5" one is slightly off true to other sprocket. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Is a replacement really necessary? After 10 years mine show no sign of wear. Once the bolt is loosened the sprockets are easily removed.

Thanks for the help and advice. I could only change the drive sprocket from 2.5" to the new 3.5" because I had to use the new auger sprocket as drive sprocket since the drive sprocket sent to me did not have the welded extension with set-screw and that was how my old 2.5" was installed??

The rubber grommets were toast so just used washers (made it easy to adjust to make true to other sprocket. New longer chain and seams to work great. Now that I did a thorough cleaning, there was an inch of soot, it burns much hotter but now have a different issue. With the heat difference we are hearing a very low tone (like a base woofer). every now and then. It is so low that it is non directional and can not hear it at stove. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks again for your help.

Here is years later since this thread started. I think I know why some Harman stoves have chain problems. I currently updating a first generation Advance that I purchased in 2015. It has been in storage every since because i could not get a stove pipe hooked up. I ordered the appliance adapter that was called for in the manual it would fit. I purchased this stove to replace my QuadraFire 1000 that has 1991 manufacture date but I am still using it. But I had trouble with the auger when I started the heating season. But rather than spending money on the QuadraFire I am putting money into the Advance. I decided to upgrade the chain drive and replace the burn pot I am also replacing the wiring harness. But when I installed the bracket for the auger motor I noticed the sprocket is misaligned with the sprocket on the auger. So I am going to modify the bracket before I use the stove. That should stop any chain problems. I have completely cleaned the stove. I have opened up the air intake side and cleaned it out. Also I pulled the auger and cleaned it and I found the a 2 inch roloc bristle disc on a right angle die grinder works good to clean the feed tube behind the burn pot. Also I added a photo showing that I added 3 washers to align the sprocket but I am taking this bracket to the local weld shop to have it tweaked so the sprockets line up.

WP_20221228_014.jpg

Here is years later since this thread started. I think I know why some Harman stoves have chain problems. I currently updating a first generation Advance that I purchased in 2015. It has been in storage every since because i could not get a stove pipe hooked up. I ordered the appliance adapter that was called for in the manual it would fit. I purchased this stove to replace my QuadraFire 1000 that has 1991 manufacture date but I am still using it. But I had trouble with the auger when I started the heating season. But rather than spending money on the QuadraFire I am putting money into the Advance. I decided to upgrade the chain drive and replace the burn pot I am also replacing the wiring harness. But when I installed the bracket for the auger motor I noticed the sprocket is misaligned with the sprocket on the auger. So I am going to modify the bracket before I use the stove. That should stop any chain problems. I have completely cleaned the stove. I have opened up the air intake side and cleaned it out. Also I pulled the auger and cleaned it and I found the a 2 inch roloc bristle disc on a right angle die grinder works good to clean the feed tube behind the burn pot. Also I added a photo showing that I added 3 washers to align the sprocket but I am taking this bracket to the local weld shop to have it tweaked so the sprockets line up.

View attachment 306495
Looks like the back of your stove was damaged, or made wrong, or bracket made wrong. Was it that far off with the old bracket?

This stove have never been damaged. To be honest I did not check the alignment before I removed the old bracket. I have compared the old bracket to the new bracket they are both square. My guess is when the feeder housing was welded together it was not square. This stove had the smaller drive sprocket so I was just doing an upgrade. I just checked the feeder housing with a small square and the housing is not square. The outer side is off a couple of degrees.

Last edited:
I have not run into an out of square feeder before?

Reactions: Mt Bob
This a very old Advance the serial number ends in 3271. I have modified the bracket so the chain will run straight. At the top of the bracket there is a strap like a gusset. I ground the weld off on one end then adjusted the bracket now I will weld it again.

This stove have never been damaged. To be honest I did not check the alignment before I removed the old bracket. I have compared the old bracket to the new bracket they are both square. My guess is when the feeder housing was welded together it was not square. This stove had the smaller drive sprocket so I was just doing an upgrade. I just checked the feeder housing with a small square and the housing is not square. The outer side is off a couple of degrees.
Hello
If you notice, the old bracket had rubber grommets that got old and brittle which caused problems with the chain coming off. The new upgraded chain set does not have these rubber grommets.
Can you take more pics to show the sprocket alignment. I am just not seeing it from that one pics?

Hello
If you notice, the old bracket had rubber grommets that got old and brittle which caused problems with the chain coming off. The new upgraded chain set does not have these rubber grommets.
Can you take more pics to show the sprocket alignment. I am just not seeing it from that one pics?
I'm with ya,Don, the pic contradicts logic, to me. The sprockets, if parallel, and perpendicular is right, would be fine, as depth is set by sliding the sprocket in or out on the motor shaft.
Well, I should clarify, what the pic shows, and what is being said.

If you look at the top of the photo you will notice 3 washers behind the bracket. There is no bolt in the bottom hole you can see how far I shimmed it back into alignment. You will also notice a straight edge against the side of the sprockets. Also this a new bracket it does not use the rubber grommets.

Last edited:
Yes, but on a perpendicular plane, the sprocket you shimmed is tilted quite a bit away from the sprocket on the auger.

Here is an update showing the modification to the bracket. And the angle that it took to get the sprockets lined up. Now the chain runs straight. I appreciate all the comments. I am sure the old the old sprocket was running at an angle to the auger sprocket. I have mentioned that I did compare the old bracket to the new bracket. I used a die grinder and removed the weld on the new bracket. Then I tweaked it and then rewelded it.

WP_20230101_004.jpg WP_20230101_019.jpg WP_20230101_010.jpg

Reactions: Washed-Up
Update here is the chain drive alignment after modifying the motor bracket. I also added the cross over kit. After adding the cross over kit then I had to cut the feeder arm where the bearing makes contact to clear the hose. This a very old Harman the feeder arm was about an inch longer than the newer ones. The bearing is making full contact when it starts to lift the arm.

WP_20230114_002.jpg

Reactions: rickwai