Harman value....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
In my search for a pellet stove, I went to a few local stove shops. I originally thought that Harman was the number 1 brand and probably overpriced. The one thing that intrigues me is the bottom feed/bottom out burn. I can see how this would help mitigate less than stellar pellet quality. Is this Harman bottom burn that good?

Keep in mind, if you talk to a stove dealer that sells bottom feed stoves, he'll tell you they are crap. Better off getting feedback here.Ran into one last week selling Quads. Had nothing good to say about Harmans.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I bought an Earth Stove (bottom feeder) in '91, and never considered buying premium pellets. It died of natural causes and I have been burning a top-feeder since last season. It took me about a week to get used to the "finicky" nature of the firepot, but I like the large ash drawer and efficiency of this design enough to not miss my bottom-feeder. Also consider this...If you're going to spend the big $ for a Harman, are you really going to feel comfortable pouring less than premium pellet fuel in the hopper?

Also consider this...If you're going to spend the big $ for a Harman, are you really going to feel comfortable pouring less than premium pellet fuel in the hopper?

That's the whole idea of a Harman. I don't have to burn top $ pellets. Spend money on the stove and you don't need Super premium pellets, and I only have to empty my ash pan once every 3-4 weeks.

That's the whole idea of a Harman. I don't have to burn top $ pellets. Spend money on the stove and you don't need Super premium pellets, and I only have to empty my ash pan once every 3-4 weeks.

You know what, that makes perfect sense. I guess I do miss my old Traeger burn system, just a little bit now. I used to be able to burn almost anything even resembling a wood pellet...even Nature's Heat! I looked at the Harman XXV stoves initially since they looked a lot like the Traditions TP40, but I couldnt afford it. Harman makes a great product, but like other pellet burning appliances, they're not trouble free either. Bottom line, buy what you can afford, perform proper maintenance and enjoy the heat.

Keep in mind, if you talk to a stove dealer that sells bottom feed stoves, he'll tell you they are crap. Better off getting feedback here.Ran into one last week selling Quads. Had nothing good to say about Harmans.

I think you meant to say top-feed, right?

I like the Harman system a lot. Mostly because you can let the thing run and do maintenance type stuff, like open the door and scrape the pot without shutting down the system. Also, Harman has a patented design for shifting out the fines...though the older collection container that was separate from the feed system I think was a better design, but none the less, it works. Additionally, the daily, weekly and monthly type of maintenance cleaning can be done without any shop tools. They put their own fashioned wing nuts on the areas you need to get to. Most of all, I like the way the room blower and heat range can be adjusted in opposition of one another. On most stove, and I dare say all others, if you want a lot of heat...you get a lot of room air...which can be pesky if you are trying to listen to TV etc...

The down side...you cannot wire in a thermostat to use with your existing central system or use a programmable t stat...Harman has their own built in. It works great, don't get me wrong, but I like the idea of a remote control over the heat. Are they worth the money, you have to be the judge. Understand that whether you spend 5k or 1.5k, in the end, it is a metal box that burns wood and heats your house. Not rocket science. All pellet stoves break down eventually or need some of this or that.

Of all of the stoves I have had, my Harman P61 was my favorite. I once got it to go 80 days without ever opening the door to clean it...but I do not recommend doing that until you are an advanced user;)

I think you meant to say top-feed, right?

My original post did say top feed. Reread it and changed it. Guess I should have reread it again.

love the fact that it pushes out the ash on its own. Open the door scrape the front of the ash pile, close the door, done.
And if I miss one or two or three days - no big deal. I don't really know what a clinker is... I don't have to worry about the ash piling up and causing issues with my feeder. I doubt I'll ever with a non-bottom fed stove.

harman p38 owner

love the fact that it pushes out the ash on its own. Open the door scrape the front of the ash pile, close the door, done.
And if I miss one or two or three days - no big deal. I don't really know what a clinker is... I don't have to worry about the ash piling up and causing issues with my feeder. I doubt I'll ever with a non-bottom fed stove.

x2

I do like my Englander but the quality of a Harman even in my lowly P-38 model is obvious . The fit and finish , and smooth running components are reflected in it`s higher price and no doubt well worth it.
There are always excellent bargains for one on Craigslist.

I think they are an apple vs orange comparison.....some like apples, some like oranges, some like both.....

Not all stoves are created equal and not all top feeders either. I got a top feeder that will run through a ton of fuel without opening the door. No clogged burn-pot. And I have run some pellets most wouldn't even bother trying even in a Harman! Works on a stat too. When I decide to shut it down it actually does just that. No pulling plugs or emptying the hopper just to make it shutdown.

There are some top feeders out there that are well worth their salt! Guess I didn't drink the cool-aide!

Status
Not open for further replies.