Harman with thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.E S4

Nov 28, 2012
Does anyone here use a thermostat on their harman or do you just use the room temp on the stove?

I have a thermostat on my P68. It is a setback thermostat. I turn it back at night when we're sleeping and don't need it as warm and also during the day, I drop it a couple of degrees. It works out well.

Tom C.

I have a thermostat on my Harman Advance. I reduce the temperature while I'm sleeping and while everyone is at work. It's also great when I go away for the weekend... I schedule it to turn on 6 or 7 hours before I come home, and everything is nice and toasty.

Am I correct that the thermostat setting does not work the same as the probe with the "room temp" dial on the stove, it just idles the stove at the temp set at the thermo?

Am I correct that the thermostat setting does not work the same as the probe with the "room temp" dial on the stove, it just idles the stove at the temp set at the thermo?

I think it depends on how you're using it, but I have mine set to work in conjunction with the room probe. When the thermostat is in "occupied" mode (morning wake up, and early evening/home from work), the room temp setting controls what the stove does. In this mode, the thermostat is set to 90 but the room temp is set to your ideal max temp (70s) - the stove doesn't try to get your room to 90 degrees, rather it keep temps up until it hits the room temp you've set.

For unoccupied times (sleeping or away/at work), this is when the thermostat takes over. You set the thermostat for your ideal low temperature and the stove basically goes into shut down mode until that temperature is it. Then it fires back up for a few degrees. Then shuts down again. Rinse. Repeat. Until you wake up or come home. During this mode, the room temp setting is pretty much ignored.

Forum user lbcyna has a much more eloquant description of exactly what's going on when you use a thermostat, as well as how your Harman works in general:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/

A very good read for anyone.

I've just picked up a used P35i will be installing it sometime in the spring. I'd like to use it with the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.