Harman wood-coal add on always smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fantazy10

Mar 8, 2013
Vermont
My parents put in a Harman woad coal add on the beginning of winter. They run it every day. The smoke it emits from the chimney is either black or dark and never goes up but rather down the roof and side of the house and it smells awful! Even the inside of the house is starting to smell like a smokers house. They had it professionally installed and when they questioned the smoke they were told that their chimney was too short so they added a pipe to it and it still is a gross billowing smoke. My children are exposed to this everyday since my mom is my day care and I'm starting to worry about their health. It is getting to the point where I can't even get the smell out of their clothes! Is there something wrong with their stove? They have cleaned their chimney and that helped a little with the color of the smoke but it still billows in the air.

Are they burning coal mostly or wood mostly or some combination?

How long as the firewood been cut, split and stacked? If the answer is less than 1 year for many woods, then that's probably the issue. For woods like oak, it takes 2 years cut, split, and stacked at least to be ready for burning.

How tall is this chimney in total? Are there bends in the chimney pipe or is it a straight shot up and out? Is it a class A chimney (stainless steel) or a masonry chimney? What's the diameter of the chimney?

Does the chimney extend 2 feet higher than anything within a 10 foot radius of the chimney cap?

Welcome to the site. Hopefully with some more info we can point you in the right direction to get that thing working right.

Thanks for the response.
So far they have only burned wood. The chimney is straight up and was all masonry until they added the extension which is steel. Not sure of the diameter or how tall it is. I will have to ask them next time my dad is around. I think the wood is at least a year or older. I would have to ask about that also. I will post again when I get more info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.