Harman XXV - 6 Blinks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitys

Nov 19, 2014
Concord NH
I just want to start off by saying this is my first post but I have been referring to this site for years now! You guys are awesome!

Anyways, I have been battling a 6 blink code this season. Last weekend we thought we nailed it on the head, I found that I did not re-attach the exhaust blower tight enough, it literally had a small space in between the blower and the mount.

After we cleaned that, re-attached it and made sure it was sealed. We completely cleaned the exhaust piping, including the screen at the top, cleaned the feed motor and did a thorough cleaning inside the stove.

Since then, it has been burning WAY better, by this I mean that when I go in for my daily quick scrape of the burn pot, there isn't a massive amount of a build on the burn pot. A few days before, I think it was not burning correctly because of the exhaust fan not being attached correctly.

However, I am still getting the 6 blink code after several hours (generally 6-10 hours after start up). I have basically read through all postings on here about the 6 blink, the manual and any other relevant google article.

Thoughts? As always, I appreciate any insight!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, I thoroughly cleaned that area. I even was able to pull some ash from inside the breather whole deep within that area.

It is was VERY clean. I did the whole below the burnpot that the exhaust vents out of as well. Both with the 4inch pipe cleaner and an ash vac.

Burnpot was scraped cleaned.

I just want to start off by saying this is my first post but I have been referring to this site for years now! You guys are awesome!

Anyways, I have been battling a 6 blink code this season. Last weekend we thought we nailed it on the head, I found that I did not re-attach the exhaust blower tight enough, it literally had a small space in between the blower and the mount.

After we cleaned that, re-attached it and made sure it was sealed. We completely cleaned the exhaust piping, including the screen at the top, cleaned the feed motor and did a thorough cleaning inside the stove.

Since then, it has been burning WAY better, by this I mean that when I go in for my daily quick scrape of the burn pot, there isn't a massive amount of a build on the burn pot. A few days before, I think it was not burning correctly because of the exhaust fan not being attached correctly.

However, I am still getting the 6 blink code after several hours (generally 6-10 hours after start up). I have basically read through all postings on here about the 6 blink, the manual and any other relevant google article.

Thoughts? As always, I appreciate any insight!
Is the stove still firing when you get the code? As well as cleaning out the space below the burn pot did you clean the ESP?

Last edited:
hmm I wonder if the ESP is my problem. I don't think I know how to clean that guy! I can look that up when I get home.

Yes, the stove still fires up after I turn the knob to off then back on stove or room temp.

hmm I wonder if the ESP is my problem. I don't think I know how to clean that guy! I can look that up when I get home.
Really easy. Check out the "End of year" cleaning instructions. Just gotta be careful when removing it, reinserting it and cleaning it. I've been able to clean with a paper towel and windex. Shines nice and coppery afterward. I do mine during a shutdown as I have an insert and it's a dog to get at but you may be able to remove yours while in service. Think I remember seeing that in another thread.

Really easy. Check out the "End of year" cleaning instructions. Just gotta be careful when removing it, reinserting it and cleaning it. I've been able to clean with a paper towel and windex. Shines nice and coppery afterward. I do mine during a shutdown as I have an insert and it's a dog to get at but you may be able to remove yours while in service. Think I remember seeing that in another thread.
I suggest shutting down to clean the ESP.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Gets pretty warm back there.
Pretty much like changing an oxygen sensor on a car with the engine running. Like blap blap blap, exhaust spewing out, heat etc.. NOT great.

I just had to do it yesterday as I had tried to burn some older pellets and they mucked up the stove and had a challenge getting the probe out it was so bad. Three year old Indecks. Weren't good then and even worse now.

I just had to do it yesterday as I had tried to burn some older pellets and they mucked up the stove and had a challenge getting the probe out it was so bad. Three year old Indecks. Weren't good then and even worse now.
Ya, see I would mix those with some really good pellets. Or if bad enough I suppose they would get the heave ho. Trouble with mixing is you reduce the nice burn of the good pellets and it takes a while to get rid of the crappy ones cause I will mix in small quantities. Maybe 5 or 6 lb to a bag of good pellets. I hate burning gunky pellets.

I mixed with good corn hoping to just get them to burn well enough. Never seen a pellet screw things up as fast as them. One hopper:(

Carefully!
IMNTBHO not worth the risk. Hey, 9f last night and Mr. Harman kept everything a steady 69f just as it was set. Parentheticly (sp) I wrestled with similar blinky problems last year. Solved them by cleaning the ESP and replacing the room sensor. Over the years I've learned that Harmans are quite interdependent, needing all of their components in top shape to work properly.

I fully agree but from what I've read some people apparently have done it "live."
Well then the OP can take his pick !

IMNTBHO not worth the risk. Hey, 9f last night and Mr. Harman kept everything a steady 69f just as it was set. Parentheticly (sp) I wrestled with similar blinky problems last year. Solved them by cleaning the ESP and replacing the room sensor. Over the years I've learned that Harmans are quite interdependent, needing all of their components in top shape to work properly.
Well six blinks is dirty burn and how would the stove know that or think it knows that without an ESP reading ? So makes sense to me. To my knowledge they have no opacity reading capability.

Cleaned the ESP probe when I got home tonight. Will keep you guys up to date as to what happens!

So after one night she has been running flawlessly which is better than it has! I noticed I don't have nearly as much "clunk" build up in the pot, it is more back to normal now. ESP must have been all gunked up and not taking the correct reading!

Appreciate everyone's responses!

So after one night she has been running flawlessly which is better than it has! I noticed I don't have nearly as much "clunk" build up in the pot, it is more back to normal now. ESP must have been all gunked up and not taking the correct reading!

Appreciate everyone's responses!
Nice !

Well six blinks is dirty burn and how would the stove know that or think it knows that without an ESP reading ? So makes sense to me. To my knowledge they have no opacity reading capability.
Stove knows its exhaust temp and fuel feed rate and exhaust fan speed to calculate if the fuel is burning to cool. Works. Tried burning some old poor pellets and it started throwing the 6 blink and had to pull the ESP and clean after only a hopper. Will do a full cleaning this weekend when we are supposed to the first 32 degree day in 12 days. 3 days short of record for November here. Now if it was like the Bixby could hook to computer and see almost 30 parameters.

Stove knows its exhaust temp and fuel feed rate and exhaust fan speed to calculate if the fuel is burning to cool. Works. Tried burning some old poor pellets and it started throwing the 6 blink and had to pull the ESP and clean after only a hopper. Will do a full cleaning this weekend when we are supposed to the first 32 degree day in 12 days. 3 days short of record for November here. Now if it was like the Bixby could hook to computer and see almost 30 parameters.
That's pretty cool.

So after a few more days of painful 6 blinks after all the work above, we narrowed the cause of the issue down to being the pellets. We have about 30 bags left over from last season of a brand that was really ashy last year and now must have accumulated some moisture. Anyways, the cause of the issue was the bad pellets. As soon as we changed her diet, she behaved much better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.