Harman XXV and "fire" smell when scraping burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
Hey guys-
I have found you all to be full of great advice and help, and I am wondering if you could help me. First, I don't think the XXV has anything to do with it. I have had this stove for about 5 years now and It has been a champ. Best purchase ever made outside of my wedding certificate and house :)

I never noticed having a fire smell (which I actually love) when I would open the door to scrape the burn pot. I did a really good cleaning this summer/fall on it and cleaned every crevice I could find. I am 99.9% sure I put everything back where it should have gone and only have used it about 4-5 nights so far. But, everytime I open the door (slowly), I smell an old fireplace being pushed out (from the air blower up top) while I scrape. It fills the house rather quickly. I don't mind it, but it doesn't seem typical from years past.

Just making sure things are okay. IT ONLY SMELLS WHEN THE STOVE IS ON AND WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR TO SCRAP. I don't recall the stove calming down when I open it, like I feel it should.

Is it time for new door gaskets, or is something else going on?

Hey guys-
I have found you all to be full of great advice and help, and I am wondering if you could help me. First, I don't think the XXV has anything to do with it. I have had this stove for about 5 years now and It has been a champ. Best purchase ever made outside of my wedding certificate and house :)

I never noticed having a fire smell (which I actually love) when I would open the door to scrape the burn pot. I did a really good cleaning this summer/fall on it and cleaned every crevice I could find. I am 99.9% sure I put everything back where it should have gone and only have used it about 4-5 nights so far. But, everytime I open the door (slowly), I smell an old fireplace being pushed out (from the air blower up top) while I scrape. It fills the house rather quickly. I don't mind it, but it doesn't seem typical from years past.

Just making sure things are okay. IT ONLY SMELLS WHEN THE STOVE IS ON AND WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR TO SCRAP. I don't recall the stove calming down when I open it, like I feel it should.

Is it time for new door gaskets, or is something else going on?
I'm getting that right now as well burning ThermaGlo Pellets in the P61. The manual does say to trim back your settings ( turn the stove down before opening the door) but I've never done that. Also on these pellets my wife noticed a bit more wood burner smell outdoors when getting down wind of the our vent. I think in my case it's these pellets. I've noticed it from time to time in the past if I open up the door too quickly and or take a longer time to do my scraping. I just figure, hey I'm burning wood with the door open, bound to get a little odor. As long as it goes away while burning and making heat I'm not worrying about it.

Did you do anything to tighten up the house since last year? (new windows, doors, insulation, vapor barrier etc). If so, you might be getting a bit of negative pressure in the house, which may cause some smoke to exit the stove when the door is open. Are you sure the exhaust vent is clean? Those are the only two things I can think of. I am unsure if a gasket issue would cause that issue only when the door is open, maybe someone else can chime in there.

Did you do anything to tighten up the house since last year? (new windows, doors, insulation, vapor barrier etc). If so, you might be getting a bit of negative pressure in the house, which may cause some smoke to exit the stove when the door is open. Are you sure the exhaust vent is clean? Those are the only two things I can think of. I am unsure if a gasket issue would cause that issue only when the door is open, maybe someone else can chime in there.
I think the big thing is to get the room fan off high speeds and burn rate down. And open the door slowly. Or just put up with a whiff of wood smoke. But mine doesn't smell up the whole house either, just near by and a hint in the dining room if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.