Harman XXV Auger noise & duration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robzheat

Sep 30, 2006
I have a new pellet stove this year, Harman XXv. I've read a lot of posts about loud noises, distrubution blower noise, rattles, buzzing. My problem is that the auger, when it feeds seems to be the loudest noise I hear. It seems to be on more that it's off. Is this the norm. I guess I didn't realize how loud pellet stoves were or i wouldn't of put it in the same room i watch tv. The dealer did come out once so far because of a whisle , which he has fixed so far, and he said the auger noise is normal

Thanks

What kind of noise? Is it like a buzzing if it is it could be a shroud is vibrating try hold the rear shrouds against the frame and see if the noise diminishes.

You certainly will hear the auger turning as well as the fan running. I describe the sound of my Countryside as an electric clothes dryer running in the room with no clothes in it. Take heart you won't hear it much after while just turn up the tv set. Its a matter of getting used to it really. For the best diagnostic I can think of find one similar and listen to it. Harmon makes one of the best stoves on the market so I doubt its overly noisy. If you think thats loud try the grinder turning in my Countryside cutting up the clinker. That about doubles the noise. In all likelyhood you will soon get used to it like most folks. Smile when you aren't paying for the gas, oil or electric bill in the mail.

Id have to hear it Rob. Possibly a noisy gear drive, it happens. I can tell you tho, that the XXv is easily the questest of all the Harman units. You will hear the unit feed, and you will also hear the fans. We turn our units up when selling them so folks can hear the noise they make. Unfortunately, in a retail setting, its never as quiet as in a home. Id suggest you get the dealer out there to listen to it, or go to the dealers' place and listen to theirs...preferably the second choise...nothing worse than going to someones house trying to listen to a phantom noise.

As for feeding....what is your feed rate set at? What are the other settings? Time the actual feed cycle and let us know how long in the course of a minute the feeder runs. Do this a few times to get a realistic number as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.