Harman XXV distribution blower replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
Hi all. After being a "taker" from this invaluable forum since my first pellet season last year, I figured I'd be a "giver" for a change.

Got through the last polar vortex fine & dandy with both stoves running, but back down to zero last night and I woke to trouble! Wife's super sniffer picked up on some kind of burning smell, and sure enough the XXV was running hot & heavy but with no distribution blower running - not a good scenario, especially running on Stove Temp mode (which I never do, but for some reason decided last night was the time to try it). Outside of the stove was wicked hot to the touch. Initiated shutdown at 06:30, did a search of this forum, and started diagnosing. 1. Distribution blower not running; 2. Light on indicating power to blower; 3. labored buzzy sound when put to Test; 4. Burning smell eerily similar to last year's seized-up combustion blower (before I appreciated a proper cleaning regimen).

Once shut down, dropped the distribution fan out & had a look-see. Yup, corroded with dust bunnies and probably a generous coating of the previous homeowners doghair. Cleaned it out, reconnected leads & put to test mode - got a 1/4 turn out of it, but was clearly defunct, very "gummy" when spun manually.

Luckily, my stove shop had a replacement in stock. Picked it up by 9:30, to the tune of $203, and had the stove back in business by 11:00. Replacement came with the wire conversion kit (which I read somewhere on here is needed for some older stoves), from which I only needed a few zip ties & the full-color, very thorough directions for replacement.

One shiny new distribution blower & another thing I need to make sure to clean prior to heating season! Bonus is, now I know what that HI-LO switch is all about!

The P61A was a real champ down the basement, kept the house in the mid-sixties throughout, even with single digits & wind.

Happy Heating!

Darn hard to beat the p series for heat and ease of care. Cost of replacement parts are more wallet friendly too.

Last edited:
Just order a distribution blower for my XXV, did not get it from the dealer they had to order and said it would be at least 10 days. Picked one up online using the part number from the the list Eric from Kinsmanstoves that is listed above, will be here next week. I have the older Harman XXV do the wires match up or do a I need a wire kit?

Just order a distribution blower for my XXV, did not get it from the dealer they had to order and said it would be at least 10 days. Picked one up online using the part number from the the list Eric from Kinsmanstoves that is listed above, will be here next week. I have the older Harman XXV do the wires match up or do a I need a wire kit?

My replacement had the wire kit included in the box, apparently standard as it is not noted on the label for the box. The end of this post has some info on the wire question: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-xxv-distribution-blower.60193/page-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.