Harman XXV Distribution Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aqualab

Jan 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Hi,

I did a search but could not find a precise/detailed thread explaining how to "Remove and Clean" the distribution blower on the XXV, hoping someone on here can provide the steps. I have just recently started up the stove for this season's checks and found fines on my floor so I no doubt need to perform a thorough cleaning of the distribution blower. The owner's manual does not provide any detail on this maintenance procedure. Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Bill

Did you pull the back panels & clean the fines collection box? That's where the fines are probably coming from, NOT the distribution blower...

Did you pull the back panels & clean the fines collection box? That's where the fines are probably coming from, NOT the distribution blower...
Agreed. Either it's full, or it wasn't put back on right. Check that first. However, if and when you need to drop the distribution fan out, it's pretty easy. Look underneath the stove and you'll see the long rectangular housing which is what drops out. You need to loosen the 2 bolts/screws on the right side, then remove the 2 on the left - the left side drops down and you slide the whole things towards the left to slide it off the right-side bolts. You may find that the wiring is hanging up, so might be helpful to disconnect them first. Clear as mud? Good luck.

One more thing - the 2 cylindrical fan blades I believe are removable. The red diaphragms on each end will flex enough to pop them out, if you're careful. You'll have to remove the fan assembly from the housing first though.

Thank guys for the clean out suggestion and fan removal information. I'll check the fines collection box and clean it out and while I have the stove back plates off I might as well pull the blower and distribution fan and clean them also. Much appreciated.

So I checked the fines collection box and found only minimal dust. I pulled the distribution blower next and that was the culprit. The fan was caked with the same material I was finding on the floor in front of the stove. I used the shop vac to get the blades spinning at a high speed and the dust flew right off of the blades. Cleaned the rear, the blower and sprayed the feed chain with lithium grease. Back up and running great. Thanks for the help - especially the distribution fan removal instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.