Harman XXV distribution fan motor is poorly designed JUNK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BGStG1aholic

Oct 16, 2012
I've only had my XXV for 9 years and the distribution fan motor just went out for the FOURTH time. Last one I bought was 13 months ago and it already went out. This is tiresome and expensive always working on this piece of junk that I paid top dollar for. Never again will I buy a Harman. I've replaced everything else except for the auger motor, that is still the original one. I buy only OEM harman parts, I pay the big bucks for these as I figure they should be quality but I guess I was wrong there. My old Avalon put out an ungodly amount more heat than this thing ever has and using less pellets to do it.

The engineers at Harman decided it would be a good idea to make replacement of the distributor fan motor a bearcat to replace, it's a fight from the getgo with this thing. The HUGE problem is They also decided it would be a swell idea to locate the motor right next to the exhaust outlet so the high heat will burn out the motor prematurely. Why the heck would they design something this expensive to wear out so fast and be a burden on their customer? Maybe just so they can charge me almost 4oo bucks for a poorly designed/located motor that's gonna go out next season.

the XXV sure is purdy though but I'm sick n tired of it. It's time to sell this lemon or to install a redesigned system that I stumbled upon on youtube.

I found a guy who makes a "manifold/shroud" to bolt on in place of the stock poorly designed fan motor and has an extension to the rear onto which a harman P series distributor blower motor bolts to. This keeps the motor away from the intense heat of the exhaust thus having the motor last for years longer than the expensive stock idiotic setup. I'm ready to try this system but thought I'd present this problem to the masses here to get opinions and warn potential buyers and also to vent. Another brand or one of the Harman P series would be a MUCH better and smarter buy than the pretty XXV. I bought their most spendy unit cause I thought at the time ya get what you pay for but was very wrong on that assumption. :(

My only worry is that this new system I plan on buying puts more air thru the side opposite the combustion blower so it is not a perfectly even airflow on both sides which problly ain'nt a big deal.....Any thoughts?

Last edited:
In the meantime I have removed the 1 year old junk motor setup and positioned some pieces of tin and old liscence plates as a shroud at the rear of stove and positioned an electric fan at the rear to blow air thru stove which is working as well if not better than the stock setup

Thanks Harman :(

I’ve always loved the look of the XXV and recently have been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used one to replace my aging Invincible (which is 30 years old and still running all original motors). After reading your post I think I’ll sheer clear of that particular Harman!

Been running my XXV since 2019. Except for Screws impacting the frame of Fan it's had zero problems. Are you running the stove with covers on the rear? That would cause the fan to cool the motors. If off it would shorten the life of motor I would think.

IMG_20210119_064818105.jpg

Reactions: BGStG1aholic
I’ve always loved the look of the XXV and recently have been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used one to replace my aging Invincible (which is 30 years old and still running all original motors). After reading your post I think I’ll sheer clear of that particular Harman!
Yeah, it sure is pretty tho. and also easier to clean than my old Avalon was.

I've heard the P series Harman are a better designed unit.

Disclaimer
This comes from a non-brand specific angle but one from a career in heavy industry.

Putting aside the bad design of the placement of the motor for which seems to have a workaround, all motors are not created equal. Materials, in this case very specifically, the insulation on the windings may be the issue. If you are experiencing bearing failures due to the heat, that's the easy problem.

There is......some standardization in motors in frame and shaft configurations. A motor house might find a "better" motor. If bearings have been your issue getting a quality (non chicom) bearing and washing the grease out and replacing it with a higher temp grease is a quick bolster against easily failure. The seals simply pop out and back in so it's only the grease that needs to be speced out.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Hello.

This fan seems to be the same as Accentra. Perhaps have a look to my pics:

During assembly, I had to align the blowers (on plate) with a ruler.

Reactions: Washed-Up