Harman XXV feed setting question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn Fletcher

Jan 10, 2012
South Western NH
Ok so I'm burning Cubex pellets in my XXV and what seems to be happening is the pellets in the burn pot keep filling up and creating a hard mass. New pellets being fed in dont push the other pellets to the ash pan since the lage mass of pellets is too big and heavy. I've had the setting down on the feeder to 3. Is it possible that is too high? Should I Lower it even more?

3 to 4 is usually works well. How is your flame, nice sharp tips with blue base? Sounds like air flow at first blush.

When was the stove last cleaned ?

Reactions: kinsmanstoves
Your feed rate is too low. Go back to 4 (default) and see how that does. I found with certain brands i had to push mine to 5.

Your feed rate is too low. Go back to 4 (default) and see how that does. I found with certain brands i had to push mine to 5.
His issue appears to be too many pellets?

hmm...i read it like he has too much ash and the new pellets arent pushing it over the edge fast enough.

Reactions: Mr. Spock
Are you still having an issue? When was the stove last cleaned? What do you clean? Need more data to help.

I just cleaned it on Friday. I lowered the feed rate to just under 3 seems to be better. Don't think my stove cares to much for Cubex pellets. Going back to Barefoots for Next month

I agree with Mr. Spock that this sounds like it could be an airflow issue. When did you last clean your venting?

If you are going to try other pellets, I would do so right away. You need to determine what the issue is. Waiting could cause further issues and may become a safety issue.

You answered the vent cleaning question that is good. How many bags have you burned?

All most a ton of Cubex. I have about 10bags left. I burned two tons of Fire Side. No problem with those. They turned to a fluffy ash before reaching the ash pan. I never adjust the feed setting when trying new pellets might be my problem. Turned it down a couple of hours a go and it looks like they are fully burning now.

So the whole ton of cubex burned that way you describe in your original post? It sounds like you have burned one ton since your October cleaning. You should at a minimum inspect and clean your venting and exhaust path in the XXV. Especially if all those cubex were not burning well.

What about the vent holes in the burn pot, are they clear? When was the last time you pulled the ash pan and sucked out the exhaust opening? It does sound like a combustion issue, now that it's not a feed issue.

I've yet to clean the vent holes in the pot this year. I'll do it Thursday. Tomorrow I'll hit the Depot and pick up a brush to clean the vent outside. I think it was the feed rate. Just checked it again and the pellets seem to be burning a lot better. I use a Ryobi infrared gun that's meant to find drafts in your house( and since my house was built in 1890 I have plenty of drafts) and I point directly at the heat blowing out of the stove. I'm getting good temp reads so I'm not losing any heat from a lower feed rate.

Harman recommends a full service cleaning after 1 ton burned for your model stove. Not just the venting.

I've yet to clean the vent holes in the pot this year. I'll do it Thursday. Tomorrow I'll hit the Depot and pick up a brush to clean the vent outside. I think it was the feed rate. Just checked it again and the pellets seem to be burning a lot better. I use a Ryobi infrared gun that's meant to find drafts in your house( and since my house was built in 1890 I have plenty of drafts) and I point directly at the heat blowing out of the stove. I'm getting good temp reads so I'm not losing any heat from a lower feed rate.

I don't think it has anything to do with your feed rate. Unless you were running the stove wide open the difference between 3 and 4 would not be noticeable. You've got some other issue going on. Try a different pellet right away and see if it makes a difference.

That's is what I have been warning the OP about. Doesn't seem to think so however.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Well not sure if it matters but I am running the stove full go. It's set to Room temp full fan and the room temp is set to 80 or 85. It's one away from full. Not at home right now to check. I am going to grab a few bags on my way home from work today

Well not sure if it matters but I am running the stove full go. It's set to Room temp full fan and the room temp is set to 80 or 85. It's one away from full. Not at home right now to check. I am going to grab a few bags on my way home from work today

No offense, but that's very brave of you.

I agree with the other posts suggesting a full thorough cleaning. Clean your burn pot holes, the fan behind the ash pan and check your combustion blower on the backside.

I've burned crappy pellets many times and had a wicked buildup at the front of the pot, but never unburned pellets. It would get to the point that the ash dam would act like a front flame guide. Probably horrible for exchanger efficiency and not good for the flame guide.

That's not what I meant by not knowing if it matters I'm running the stove on full go I was referring to one of the earlier posts about the feed rate if the stove was fully open Checking the stove before I left for work this morning the pellets seem to be burning pretty good I am however going to give it a good cleaning tonight when I get home getting the outside exhaust as well as the holes and if I have time I'll take the fan out of the back With the XXV I'm pretty sure that the fan in the back is the only one that is accessible to clean

Ya, wasn't sure if it was the same setup as the P series. There isn't a fan behind the ash pan?

Bring some $$ if you're planning on getting the Rutland pellet vent brushes at HD. They're very nice but expensive. Others have suggested and had great luck with a product called a Lint Eater. Under $30 IIRC.

Not on the XXV if there is a fan in back of the ash pan it's not accessible. Wow! You were not kidding about those brushes. I just googled the and couldn't believe the price.

You know I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the feeder dial. It seems as though my stove is been flying through palettes and setting the dial back to just under three Arnon very cold last night 16° I barely used any pellets compared to what I normally would go through And the stove was still throwing off a good temperature my problem is my house is so old and has such little insulation that's why I need to run the stove on full just to keep it warm in the house

You know I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the feeder dial. It seems as though my stove is been flying through palettes and setting the dial back to just under three Arnon very cold last night 16° I barely used any pellets compared to what I normally would go through And the stove was still throwing off a good temperature my problem is my house is so old and has such little insulation that's why I need to run the stove on full just to keep it warm in the house

Give the system a good clean and we can go from there. I just did a complete cleaning so you may find the following post helpful:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/first-1-ton-cleaning-xxv.103801/#post-1342440

Reactions: thedude110
Status
Not open for further replies.