Harman XXV giving off a strange odor upon initial lighting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W

Jan 20, 2011
Michigan
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and would like your input. I just got my Harman XXV up and running today, but it is giving off a strange almost gassy or plastic odor. is this normal and will it eventually go away?

The paint is curing and cutting oils burning off good thing it's mostly cast iron and not plate steel. The smell will go away.

Every new stove when first fired basicly stinks until the paint cures, do not place any objects on the stove or they will leave rather permanent marks in the paint.

Each time the stove fires hotter the stink will likely return as some of the paint that wasn't cured finally get hot enough to cure.

ETA: Late summer early fall is the best time to install one of these things, you can set them into nuclear mode and open the house up for several hours that gets it done in a short time.

Could be a small vent leak, are all the seams in the vent sealed with aluminum tape or silicone ? There is a lot of postive pressure on the XXV and my old vent never leaked in 14 years but upon hooking up the XXV it leaked badly at many locations. The hottetr it got the more wisps of smoke would leak.

Normal, mine did it too, in about a week of hard burning all the smells from the stove and sealants will go away. Think of it like the first week of driving a brand new car, its that new Stove smell ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.