Harman xxv, how often to clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I clean the firebox of my Harman XXV every week, 10 or so bags. The shop that installed it and supplies my pellets recommends it. The ash pan is usually only about 20% full. I scrape the burn pot thoroughly and make sure that the surface above the ignitor is smooth, scrape the surfaces where the burn pot cover mates with the body and scrape and clean the cover with a power wirebrush to make sure it's clean and smooth. I use cheap dollar store brushes for soot removal and scrape the heat exchanger with the Harman tool. The Dollar Tree $1 round toilet brush is perfect for cleaning the exhaust piping inside and out (I have the direct vent wall box) but I always wrap duct tape around the threaded connections to make sure they don't separate with the brush head inside the chamber (Made In China).

I just joined yesterday so forgive me for being redundant but has anyone found a better tool for cleaning the heat exchanger fireside? The Harman tool is OK but it seems to me that the angle could be better.

Oh, one other thing that I learned from this site. If you hear any annoying ringing or whistling noises on your XXV clean the fines box and use a mirror to make sure it's really clean. My XXV started doing this a few weeks ago and I was ready to pay big bucks for a service call. Thanks to the good folks here it's running smooth and quiet again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.