Harman XXV - Installing Tues 12/3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twodogs02

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
plus.google.com
Want to say thank you to all who post to this forum. I've been able to gather a significant amount of information from this site. Our stove was to be installed earlier last week but the winter storm prevented that since I will be venting through the roof. I've got 8 bags of pellets from 4 different manufacturers and plan to run these through the stove, cleaning between vendor changes.

The question I have is this - Will I be able to test temperature differences between vendor pellets using my infra red tester due to the ESP controller on this stove? I suspect the only thing I will be able to tell is how fast each bag is consumed but that will vary based on room temperature. So if anyone can tell me the best way to run this test, I would be grateful.

You can test it however you please. The ESP will not affect your testing.

Good luck with the install. It's a beautiful hottie!

Want to say thank you to all who post to this forum. I've been able to gather a significant amount of information from this site. Our stove was to be installed earlier last week but the winter storm prevented that since I will be venting through the roof. I've got 8 bags of pellets from 4 different manufacturers and plan to run these through the stove, cleaning between vendor changes.

The question I have is this - Will I be able to test temperature differences between vendor pellets using my infra red tester due to the ESP controller on this stove? I suspect the only thing I will be able to tell is how fast each bag is consumed but that will vary based on room temperature. So if anyone can tell me the best way to run this test, I would be grateful.
Hate to disagree with the first reply you got but the answer to your question is yes and it's obvious to me that you've done some research to even ask the question in the first place. With Harmans one of a kind ESP system it's far more difficult to determine if one pellet is "hotter" than another. As you say in your post, the length of time a bag lasts given a common set of parameters (same exact setting for each brand you test) may be of value to you.

Reactions: P38X2
Thats is a super nice stove, may I ask what color you went with.

You can test it however you please. The ESP will not affect your testing.

I disagree. You SHOULD get the same convection discharge temps regardless of what pellets you use in a Harman pellet stove with an ESP. Read the Harman sticky....

Thats is a super nice stove, may I ask what color you went with.
We went with matte black and we'll wrap the pellet pipe with black stove pipe up to the cathedral ceiling box. We purchased the top exhaust (not cheap) and will run the pellet pipe all the way through the roof to make cleaning much easier. .
The misses considered the brown but since we have a log home, she felt the matte black looked the best, but only with stove pipe.

Last edited:
Missed that link in the sticky on pellet testing, thank you for the reminder.

Last edited:
We went with matte black and we'll wrap the pellet pipe with black stove pipe up to the cathedral ceiling box. We purchased the top exhaust (not It cheap) and will run the pellet pipe all the way through the roof to make cleaning much easier. .
The misses considered the brown but since we have a log home, she felt the matte black looked the best, but only with stove pipe.

What do you mean wrap the pipe? It is easy to paint the pellet pipe. I use VHS very High temp 2,000 Deg Flat Black Header Paint from the auto parts store for the primer. Then Stove Bright Satin Black for the top coat. Covers great this way and the Satin Black looks sweet.

As mentioned by others, time of hopper consumption is the only way I know of to test pellet BTU in a Harman.

Adding the 6-8" stovepipe over the PV is a really cool idea. Should give it a much more convincing wood stove look. How were you planning on securing/centering the stove pipe over the PV?

You gotta post pix of the install. Bet it's gonna look great.

I disagree. You SHOULD get the same convection discharge temps regardless of what pellets you use in a Harman pellet stove with an ESP. Read the Harman sticky....
When I had my XXV and I used a digital thermo placed 2 inches from the front, I got varying temps with varying brands of pellets. I answered based on experience.

Perhaps I was measuring the slight variances. I "tested" based on room temp mode, where more emphasis is on the room temp sensor, rather than the ESP probe.

Last edited:
Discharge temps will also vary due to exchanger cleanliness and where in the "feed cycle" you happen to take the reading at. This is probably common with all stoves.

Discharge temps will also vary due to exchanger cleanliness and where in the "feed cycle" you happen to take the reading at. This is probably common with all stoves.
I see. Thanks for the clarification. Hadn't considered these variables in justifying the different readings I had seen.

If in stove temp, the discharge convection air temp should be fairly consistent and not cycle.
I agree, but it may vary a bit...enough to possibly make the user think one pellet may be hotter than the other. It was more a generalized statement to support the fact it's tough to tell, in general, with a Harman.

Too soon to tell if I "love" my XXV but I do have one observation, my daughter's less attractive P 45 puts out more heat, hotter discharge temps than my XXV.

twodogs02, my guess regarding pellet choices is after the "honeymoon" period with your stove, you'll probably lean towards lower ash pellets rather than looking for the ones with the most potential BTU's. Depending on your location, they can be a bit pricey.

The install process today started and stopped really quick. As they were bringing the stove up our exterior stone steps, using an appliance dolly, the rear leg broke off. The stone steps are irregular and one riser on a step sticks out pretty good due to the characteristics of natural stone. The leg hit the bump in the riser and off the leg came. They took the stove back to the store and said they would need to order a new side panel, install it, then fire the stove to burn the paint/oil off before attempting again.

Should I ask for a new stove all together or is replacing the side panel on the XXV satisfactory give this is a new purchase?

Last edited:
New side panel should be fine... I would inspect it at the store, before it ships to you to insure color match and the rest look good to you. If not, ask for another one.

Relative to testing the heat output of different pellets, here's what you do... Set you stove to "stove temp" (nob pointing to 6 pm position), igniter switch to "auto", temp dial to "5" or max, feed rate to "2" (this will feed pellets for about 20 seconds per minute). Add maybe a pound of each pellet just before you run out and observe the temperatures at a specific time after adding the pellets. I'd use the 15 minute mark or so. Just be consistent and DONT touch the knobs between pellet brands. Let the stove cool a bit between brands, just be consistent while allowing each brand to find it's peak temp.

Setting the feed rate to 2 and the temp to 5 will essentially create a situation where the ESP temp will never be achieved (feed rate too low), thus removing the ESP from the test. The temp readings you will take will essentially be a byproduct of the heat output of the pellet. Keep in mind that the length of pellet will skew the numbers slightly, but you could sort them by length if you wanted to get a little more OCD...

With that said, I don't focus too much on the heat output of the pellets. I look more at the ash and how it builds up on the pot. In my world, less ash is a better pellet. Does the ash flick out of the pot or does it get thick and form a clinker. I also keep an eye on how sooty the heat exchanger gets. These factors not only make cleaning easier and less frequent, but could impact the efficiency of the stove to some small degree (just like the BTU differences between pellets).

My wife can call the install company for you and complain to them if you want. By the time she is done you will get a new burner plus the one they broke. Lol. She has a way with people that they do anything to get her off the phone, at any price. Lol

Maybe get a few bags of pellets for your troubles? I would be there for the fire as well.......check it out before it is delivered again.

Status
Not open for further replies.