Harman XXV or Enviro M55 Cast FS??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I ordered the M55 in diamond black enamel today. Got an awesome price and I'm real happy after speaking to the owner of the store for quite awhile today. Real nice guy. Stove should be in by the end of the week, pick it up next Tuesday. Saw it running today and was impressed with the quietness of it on high. The M55 on high was more quiet than my current stove is on low. I am upgrading to 4inch exhaust pipe as well. The dealer did say something about setting the air mixture with a gauge when they install it. Now I will be installing it myself, so where do I get one of these meters?

@j-takeman, Thanks! Never used one. Is there a certain number I would need to set my stove to? Sorry for the newbie questions!

chanlon1974 said:
@j-takeman, Thanks! Never used one. Is there a certain number I would need to set my stove to? Sorry for the newbie questions!

If you download your manual it should show how to do this, and what numbers you need on the mag.

You can find the pdf file here:
http://enviro.com/fireplace-products/pellet/freestanding-fireplace.html#m55

Another suggestion is to get to know your flame at the optimal setting (what the flame looks like=color, strength, shape, etc), so you can fine tune your stove with the combustion, and feed trims on your control panel for each pellet, or other fuel that you burn.

Make sure you install a multifuel type exhaust vent.

Look forward to seeing the install pictures, ;-)

1D

1Dtml said:
chanlon1974 said:

If you download your manual it should show how to do this, and what numbers you need on the mag.

Another suggestion is to get to know your flame at the optimal setting (what the flame looks like=color, strength, shape, etc), so you can fine tune your stove with the combustion, and feed trims on your control panel for each pellet, or other fuel that you burn.

1D

Thanks for the info! Does the multifuel exhaust vent come with the stove or is that an additional purchase. Even though I will probably just be burning pellets, I will install it just in case. From what I have heard all the additional fuels, corn, wheat, cherry pits are expensive and not readily available out here on the east coast. (Connecticut) who knows down the road though

chanlon1974 said:

Here is a quote from the tech manual.

This unit is designed to operate within a negative pressure range of 0.15-0.17 inches of water column (37-42
Pa). This can be measured using a Magnahelic pressure gauge once the unit has been running on heat level 5
setting after one hour of burn time. This adjustment is necessary for varying venting configurations. The reading
can be taken from the ⅛†hole located on the right side of the Ash Box.

But check this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/73057/#852537

Member skinanbones says he has better luck with a slightly higher setting(0.20). I found that the M55 steel fs liked 0.18 to 0.19, But this depends on the vent configuration and pellet quality. Another tip is to also check it where you want to run it at after the primary adjustment. Then you can make small changes in that heat range with the gauge. IMHO it takes too long to set it on high and wait the hour or so to do an adjustment unless you run it on high all the time. I run mine on medium more than high, So that's my start point in my Omega. Also record your lowest setting as well. I make more adjustments on the low heat range than on the range I normally run. In my stove low setting has the most pellet noticeable issues. So tweaking low has been more common. But that's just me and keeping the ducks in a row!

As for the gauge. Dwyer has the model #2000-00 which is good up to .25 It has a fine scale so its easy to see the setting. There are others that will also work, But a bit harder to see where the reading is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DWYER-INSTR...338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6b45cc8a

chanlon1974 said:
1Dtml said:
chanlon1974 said:

1D

Thanks for the info! Does the multifuel exhaust vent come with the stove or is that an additional purchase. Even though I will probably just be burning pellets, I will install it just in case. From what I have heard all the additional fuels, corn, wheat, cherry pits are expensive and not readily available out here on the east coast. (Connecticut) who knows down the road though

I'm not sure if the dealer gave you a price including venting or for just the stove, so you will need to check with him for that answer.

I'm not sure what area you are in CT, or what dealer you are using, but here is the Link for ICC pipe (ExcelPellet is approved for multifuel), and you can use the dealer search to purchase it.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/excelpellet-for-pellet-vent

ICC pipe is more expensive than some, but is gasketed, so it is super easy to install without the need to use sealants and tape to prevent leaks.

On the install carefully read the technical install manual, and use the prefered install method if possible, for the easiest install doesn't mean it is the best install.

You should also plan on installing an Outside Air Kit (OAK), as shown in the install manual.

Good luck,

1D

chanlon1974,

If this is your first install you may want to post what you are planing, for I'm sure that myself and others will be glad to help you with a stock list, and or advise.

1D

chanlon1974

You are going to love the M55.

I got a great deal on mine from a RI dealer and I bought my 4" venting online at
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=45

They sell a variety of venting from different manufacturers.

Tip:
After you build yourself a list of needed items call them and see if you can get a discount. I did. And it was significant.

IIRC my venting showed up about 3 days after I ordered it.

Great company to deal with and I would happily recommend them to anyone.

Good Luck,'
---Nailer---

1Dtml said:
chanlon1974,

If this is your first install you may want to post what you are planing, for I'm sure that myself and others will be glad to help you with a stock list, and or advise.

1D

I was going to pretty much copy the way my stove piping is run now. The stove is kiddie cornered so the setup is as follows. T with clean out coming off the stove, 45 elbow with 2ft straight pipe through wall thimble. Outside of house is another T, 6ft straight pipe up to soffit, 2 90s around gutter, 2ft straight up with cap. My dealer recommended 45 up around the gutter instead of 90s due to restriction. Any comments, concerns?

Attachments

• pipesetup.jpg
    pipesetup.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 391
  • outside setup.jpg
    outside setup.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 395
My dealer wants me to come off the stove with a 45 and go straight out. No T inside. He is giving me a T that has a vertical and horizontal trap door so I can clean both inside and the outside vertical pipe. He is giving me multi-fuel pipe.

chanlon1974 said:
My dealer wants me to come off the stove with a 45 and go straight out. No T inside. He is giving me a T that has a vertical and horizontal trap door so I can clean both inside and the outside vertical pipe. He is giving me multi-fuel pipe.

Oops I forgot that you had a stove already, and this was not starting from scratch.

I agree with the dealer, for you need to eliminate as many restrictive bends as possible, and I thought you mentioned using 4" vent which just by looking I would think you need.

1D

Yeah, I am switching over to 4inch pipe. Picking up the stove on Saturday. Should have it installed by Saturday afternoon.

chanlon1974 said:
Yeah, I am switching over to 4inch pipe. Picking up the stove on Saturday. Should have it installed by Saturday afternoon.

Nice, and good luck.
Once again we like to see pictures ;-)

1D

I will post some Saturday night. Perfect timing too because my Whitfield is acting up. Switching fans speeds on its own, not dropping pellets and shutting down. Its done this before and I ended up needing a new auger motor. I can't believe its doing it again. I just replaced the motor two seasons ago. I'm telling ya, its the worst stove ever made. Cant wait for the Enviro!

Make sure you have some strong backs around to help!!!! It took four of us to hoist mine into position. I do believe it is about 400 pounds and my dealer left about 40 pounds of pellets in the hopper after seasoning it for me. Great choice and you will love the heat from that stove.

Very nice indeed!
I like the dual clean out.
Congratulations, and enjoy. :coolsmile:

1D

Very Nice!

Just in time for spring :) JK.

Enjoy the stove. I do mine.
You are going to love it.
---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
Very Nice!

Just in time for spring :) JK.

Enjoy the stove. I do mine.
You are going to love it.
---Nailer---

I know! 65 deg today! But oh well, its still gonna be cold at night for awhile and I needed it for next year anyway. The Whitfield crapped the bed again. Gonna fix it and put in my woodshop!

jtakeman said:
NICE!

Enjoy and let us know how the PowerHouse do in the new toy!!

I will! CT Pellet had a great price. I couldn't turn them down. I almost bout one ton of powerhouse and one of the Turmans for $259, but in the end I just decided to go all powerhouse. We'll see!

I will! CT Pellet had a great price. I couldn't turn them down. I almost bout one ton of powerhouse and one of the Turmans for $259, but in the end I just decided to go all powerhouse. We'll see!

I'm also in CT, looking to buy the M55 insert. Can you tell me what price you paid and where? Are you happy with the service provided and the stove itself?
I'm also considering the Harman.

Status
Not open for further replies.