Harman XXV Overheating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smwilliamson said:
Customer has a stove that I cannot get the appliance to overheat, but when I leave somehow she was able to actually distort the glass from the heat. The pellets just keep feeding and feeding until she unplugs it. Possibly an ESP sensor?

Sounds like the control board. I'm not sure if the ESP sensor works through the control board or not (perhaps someone much smarter than I can chime in), but the ESP should have shut the system down before getting that hot. If it does work through the control board, that would the common denominator. If not, then there may be multiple failures. (ESP and Thermistor connection)

Any chance the customer had the Thermistor in a bad spot (like against the window)? The ESP still should have shutdown the stove before overheating, but that may explain why you haven't been able to recreate the issue.

If the ESP is working properly, it won't let the exhaust temperature exceed 250 deg. F.
It WILL continue to feed pellets until the ESP shuts the unit off at that temperature...
That is nowhere NEAR the temperature required to damage the pyroceram...
That stuff is tested to around 2000 degrees F...
If she got the unit THAT hot, the Cast Iron would've been GLOWING RED &
CLOSE TO MELTING!
Must've been defective glass...

Bobforsaken said:
Any chance the customer had the Thermistor in a bad spot (like against the window)? The ESP still should have shutdown the stove before overheating, but that may explain why you haven't been able to recreate the issue.

You got it. The Thermistor was coiled in the back of the stove against the cold hearth. I had uncoiled it once and that seemed to have solved the problem. The problems seems to have returned. I think perhps the Thermistor is bad. I'm going to run the unit for a day on Stove Temp and see if this resolves anything.

Once she unpluged the stove she lost power and all the heat is traped. Try unpluging a stove on high and see what happens in the store. The control board is bad if the only way she can shut it down is to unplug it or let it run out of pellets. If she turns it off and keeps running it's a control issue.

have you plugged in the harman diagnostic tool in to the stove yet. that will give you somewhere to start. if you dont test anything then you are just partswapping

rickwa said:
have you plugged in the harman diagnostic tool in to the stove yet. that will give you somewhere to start. if you dont test anything then you are just partswapping

Yes, I did. Everything seems to be ok. There is nothing wrong with the stove aside from the glass which discolored. The Thermistor was located in a cool corner of the hearth despite my best efforts to place it where it would make sense. Human error on her part. Thanks for your input.

smwilliamson said:
RETIRED GVA said:
I think he's a independant service guy,based on his website...

Yes, humbly though, I have lot's to learn but I haven't had a stove yet that I cannot revive from the dead.

Thats because very few cant be revived!

smwilliamson said:
So true. Both of my stoves are from the last decade, both rebuilds and both going strong right now as we speak. It's nice and warm in here!

Both of those stoves you own are monsters anyways! I own a P61 myself, going on 9 years old.....simple, no bells and whistles, but its also cranking right now, all original parts too...as for the Invincible, that whole line were tanks......utterly simple, parts still available, they run forever......our tech sometimes runs into them, refurbs them, and sells them himself...nice units...

Status
Not open for further replies.