Harman XXV - power issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitys

Nov 19, 2014
Concord NH
Hello everyone,

We have had our Harman XXV for quite some years now, we bought it used but has always been great to us with very regular thorough cleanings.

Recently though, it has started to sound like it is almost not getting a steady stream of power. It does not matter what speed you have the blower but it almost sounds as though it is pausing but not turning off by any means every now and then. Roughly every 30 seconds or minute. Hard to describe. It's like the fan is running steady then all the sudden either slows down or speeds up. Appears to really only the distribution affected by these little blips.

I used to have it plugged into an older smart apc ups but was thinking that might be the issue so I have it plugged directly into the wall as a test.

I was thinking it was the blower but one day I noticed the board blinking all lights on and off sorta with the dimming of the fan, I only saw this once though. Turning it off and back on solved that issue.

Tried searching on here but couldn't really find anything.

Thank you as always for your thoughts!

Hello everyone,

We have had our Harman XXV for quite some years now, we bought it used but has always been great to us with very regular thorough cleanings.

Recently though, it has started to sound like it is almost not getting a steady stream of power. It does not matter what speed you have the blower but it almost sounds as though it is pausing but not turning off by any means every now and then. Roughly every 30 seconds or minute. Hard to describe. It's like the fan is running steady then all the sudden either slows down or speeds up. Appears to really only the distribution affected by these little blips.

I used to have it plugged into an older smart apc ups but was thinking that might be the issue so I have it plugged directly into the wall as a test.

I was thinking it was the blower but one day I noticed the board blinking all lights on and off sorta with the dimming of the fan, I only saw this once though. Turning it off and back on solved that issue.

Tried searching on here but couldn't really find anything.

Thank you as always for your thoughts!
Have you checked the wall socket voltage ? Erratic running motors can be a couple of things, low voltage ( we had a guy on here a couple of years ago who had something like 104 or 108 at his wall socket). Or too much draw ( motor going bad for instance), also loose connections. I had a bad surge protector last year, sent the stove wacko but not for long as the surge strip died before I had to do much circuit checking. So happens I had ordered in a new one in black, the old one was white. So I lost nothing really. However that surge protector probably went bad due to a couple of brown outs we had, that in itself may have saved something in the stove. .

Last edited:
Check the room temp probe for shorting. I had the same issue and another animal owner just had the same issue as the connector of the probe was causing the problem. They do go bad but not often

Reactions: alternativeheat
Thanks guys. Appears it was actually the outlet. Switched to a different outlet (same breaker) but that appears to have fixed it.

I will continue to update on here with new information as I get it but thank you both very much!

Reactions: jackman
I have a tester for outlets and checks for polarity, grounding etc. Not the first time to find improperly wired outlets making for grumpy stoves. Better UPS's check for that issue.

This looks to have been the issue. Strange thing is that the other outlets on the circuit are fine. I will be replacing the outlet in the near future anyways to get rid of the off white manila color anyways!

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: jackman
I replaced a outlet GFI just before Thanksgiving. It was apparently never was right.
Replacement of an outlet is about a cheap of fix one can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.