Harman XXV settings???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbullguy

Jul 29, 2008
Southern, NH
What are you guys/gals running for settings?

Right now I run on
Fan speed High
Room temp 75
Ign. Auto
Feed 3.5
Black switch inside of panel on High.

Buring NEWP brown bag red letters...

Thanks

Last few days my settings have been:

Fan speed medium
Stove temp mode
Temp 70
Feed: 4

currently burning-
NEWP Canadian Premium aka Green Supreme

Settings subject to change

tinkabranc said:
Last few days my settings have been:

Fan speed medium
Stove temp mode
Temp 70
Feed: 4

currently burning-
NEWP Canadian Premium aka Green Supreme

Settings subject to change

how do you like those NEWP canadians? I got a half a ton in my basement. very "fragrant".

cac4 said:
how do you like those NEWP canadians? I got a half a ton in my basement. very "fragrant".

Love em
They are my favorite ones out of all the brands I have tried so far.
Rumor has it they are being discontinued so I may have to find a new
favorite for next year :down:

Fan speed High (sometime Medium when the TV is competing with it)
Room temp 72
Ign. Auto to start, then right to manual
Feed 4

Buring Cleanfire Pellets

I switch to manual ignition after it's started. I hear it only burns .17 lbs per hr (or something like that). The flame dies way down, but never goes out. From what I read here, it really saves on the ignitor this time of year when the stove might shut itself off and on. Again from what I've read here, I don't think the Feed rate matters when you're in room temp mode - the stove takes care of this for you.

Fan speed MED.
Room temp Mode set to 75
Ign. Auto to start then to Manual
Feed 5
Black switch inside of panel on LOW

Buring Hamers Hot Ones.

About half way thru my first ton (XXV just installed). Have had nothing but problems with auto mode. Stove pushes way to many pellets into burn pot before igniting, so many that clean unburned pellets wind up in the ash can. Now it wont ignite at all so guess I will have to start with gel/match. I must have gotten a bum igniter? Other than that, XXV is pretty darn good. Love watching those oil trucks drive right on past my cabin! :cheese:

Setting I'm using at this time
Fan speed med
Room temp mode 65
Ing auto
Feed rate 3.5
and NEWP Green Supreme

Fan speed med
Room temp mode 70
Auto ignite
Feed rate 4
Greene team pellets
Hooked up a Honeywell thermostat (off at 10PM and on at 04:30AM in fall and spring)

Most of the time:
High
Stove Temp
Auto
2-1/2 - 4 feed

Do either the feed rate or the temp dial translate into Lbs/hour?

kyburnr said:
Most of the time:
High
Stove Temp
Auto
2-1/2 - 4 feed

Do either the feed rate or the temp dial translate into Lbs/hour?

I read a post once that mentioned, for Harman stoves, that each auger feed unit represented a pound per hour. Ie. 10 seconds turning per minute equals a pound per hour. I would be interested to hear if this is true or not.

I read a post once that mentioned, for Harman stoves, that each auger feed unit represented a pound per hour. Ie. 10 seconds turning per minute equals a pound per hour. I would be interested to hear if this is true or not.[/quote]

heard the same thing

Room Temp at 70 - 75
Feed at 3 - 4
Auto
Fan on High
Marth premium Hardwood pellets

I am still trying to figure out the best settings on my stove , but have a question for everyone. After a week of burning how full is your ash pan? Does everyone get as lot of ash in the bottom of the stove that is not in the ash pan like I do? Last of all, after 3 days of burning I have a rainbow shape of very dirty ash/soot on the top of my glass, and smears coming up from the bottom where the air blows up the glass. Does everyone elses stove glass get that dirty so quick? - Thanks

teeravis1 said:
Room Temp at 70 - 75
Feed at 3 - 4
Auto
Fan on High
Marth premium Hardwood pellets

I am still trying to figure out the best settings on my stove , but have a question for everyone. After a week of burning how full is your ash pan? Does everyone get as lot of ash in the bottom of the stove that is not in the ash pan like I do? Last of all, after 3 days of burning I have a rainbow shape of very dirty ash/soot on the top of my glass, and smears coming up from the bottom where the air blows up the glass. Does everyone elses stove glass get that dirty so quick? - Thanks

I get ash in bottom of stove, not in pan as well. I would think that is normal. I used to get exactly what you describe on glass, rainbow shaped very dirty, black sections on glass as well as smears coming up from bottom. I found that my OAK intake pipe was not connected to the intake port on stove. Once I re established fresh intake air, no more dirty glass. Hope that helps.

ON EDIT: This doesnt mean to imply that my glass stays 100% clean, it still gets dirty, but takes much longer to get dirty. Lets face it, theres lots going on in there, I dont think anyones glass would stay pristine.

I just cleaned the stove last night, I will let it burn for 3 days then take a pic and post for you all to see. Then hopefully all of you can let me know if it is normal or if something seems wrong. Thanks for always being willing to help. - Trav

redbullguy said:
What are you guys/gals running for settings?

Right now I run on
Fan speed High
Room temp 75
Ign. Auto
Feed 3.5

Buring NEWP brown bag red letters...

Thanks

Same settings as us.
I do not have a "Black Switch"

Last night we left it set at 75 all night. Trying to keep the upstairs around 64-66.
It seemed to work well. Outside temp was around 26 this morning.
Nice to go downstairs the AM with temp at 73!!
And wait, No furnace running!!

Life is good!!

I get very little ash outside the pan. After burning for about a week, I have about 1 inch in the ash pan, probably mostly from what I scoop away from the burn pot (twice per day). The rainbow pattern shows up on my glass too, but always very light, in color and density. Every time I fill the hopper, I brush the accumulated ash from the burn pot and very lightly swipe the inside glass with a cotton towel. It keeps the glass fairly clean, but towards the end of the week, the top of the rainbow becomes more stubborn, requiring a cool down and a shot of glass cleaner, at that time I'm scraping the burn pot, vacuuming, and emptying the ashes anyway.

This is our first pellet stove and our first season.

Fan speed 2/3 (med)
Room Temp 70
Ign. Auto yes
Feed 3
Type of pellets Cubex
4 ton in shed

We love the stove. The stove is in the living room of an open concept cape.
I installed a fan in the ceiling over the stove to help move warm air upstairs,
keeps half of the upstairs, tv room and bath, about 73 degrees, other half
is a bedroom with door closed.

This stove does everything I hoped it would do.

New member. Bought Harmon XXV mid-October. Use Michigan Wood Pellets Co., premium grade hardwood blend, ash content <1.0%, BTU's 8192/lb. Operating manual says should only need to empty ash pan once per ton. We've emptied twice already on less that half-ton burned.

Settings: Room - med-hi, Feed 4, Temp 70 (4), Auto ignite.

Are we doing something wrong re the ash amount we are getting?

As someone else here mentioned, we also get a lot of ash outside and all around the ash pan.

I don't feel we have optimized the stove settings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1600 sqr. ft. ranch home, well insulated (6" walls), thermo-pane double glass low-e windows. Stove in living room, master bdrm at other end. Living room holds 70 degrees and master bedrm at 67degrees. This heat distribution seems remarkable to me. Didn't expect it to do this well. Ceiling fans draw upwards and on lowest setting.

Great forum. Glad I found it. This stove is one giant leap forward from the one grandpa used to use!

Fly Speck Billy said:
New member. Bought Harmon XXV mid-October. Use Michigan Wood Pellets Co., premium grade hardwood blend, ash content <1.0%, BTU's 8192/lb. Operating manual says should only need to empty ash pan once per ton. We've emptied twice already on less that half-ton burned.

Settings: Room - med-hi, Feed 4, Temp 70 (4), Auto ignite.

Are we doing something wrong re the ash amount we are getting?

As someone else here mentioned, we also get a lot of ash outside and all around the ash pan.

I don't feel we have optimized the stove settings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1600 sqr. ft. ranch home, well insulated (6" walls), thermo-pane double glass low-e windows. Stove in living room, master bdrm at other end. Living room holds 70 degrees and master bedrm at 67degrees. This heat distribution seems remarkable to me. Didn't expect it to do this well. Ceiling fans draw upwards and on lowest setting.

Great forum. Glad I found it. This stove is one giant leap forward from the one grandpa used to use!

Sounds perfectly normal ;-) Enjoy your new stove!

The manual is a little far fetched claiming you can burn a ton before cleaning it.
Technically, you probably could depending on how much ash your pellets create, but IMO
it is just asking for problems. The longer you wait to clean it, the dirtier it gets.

I scrape the burnpot daily to keep the burnpot holes clear, and vac out the stove once a week
to keep the stove running at peak performance.

Here are some pics of my stove after 3 days of burning, does this look normal? Accidentally scraped the burn pot before I took the pics.

Attachments

• 100_7925.jpg
    100_7925.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 745
  • 100_7926.jpg
    100_7926.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 734
  • 100_7931.jpg
    100_7931.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 709
teeravis1 said:
Here are some pics of my stove after 3 days of burning, does this look normal? Accidentally scraped the burn pot before I took the pics.

That pattern of soot looks very familiar ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.