Harman XXV Shut Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn Fletcher

Jan 10, 2012
South Western NH
So it's 4:15 in the morning and wake up work to find tha my pellet stove was shut off. I thought wow I filled the hopper right before bed no way did it burn that many last night. Nope the hopper was still full and the stove was set to high. I turned the dial off and restarted it back up. I has come back on but something is not right with the blower. At first it seemed smokey inside the stove and there was no air blowing out. It was as if the fan was not on. Now the fan has come on but seems to fade out. I don't want to leave my wife with the headache so I'll shut the stove Dow and call my dealer

Donn Fletcher said:
So it's 4:15 in the morning and wake up work to find tha my pellet stove was shut off. I thought wow I filled the hopper right before bed no way did it burn that many last night. Nope the hopper was still full and the stove was set to high. I turned the dial off and restarted it back up. I has come back on but something is not right with the blower. At first it seemed smokey inside the stove and there was no air blowing out. It was as if the fan was not on. Now the fan has come on but seems to fade out. I don't want to leave my wife with the headache so I'll shut the stove Dow and call my dealer

Bummer...let us know the outcome.

Donn-

A bit more info, please......stove age, last thorough cleaning. WHICH fan didnt seem to be running (the distribution fan wont run till the unit gets some heat in it), etc. Probably not in your case, but "smoky" fires tend to indicate a blockage somewhere......

Stove in brand new. Bought & installed this past Oct. I just gave it a good cleaning on Tuesday. I had no blinking lights on my panel this morning. It was as if it had run out of pellets but that wasn't the case. I just spoke with my wife who is at home she fired it up and said it started and seemed fine. I'm gonna call the dealer this morning. Not sure if there was a draft and it just blew out the flame. It's never happened before. Even when I shut it off this morning the fan that runs while the shut down process is going didn't seem to be running

If it has an auger kill switch on the hopper lid, is it possible you took a little longer than usual to fill'er up before bed? Maybe the flame died down and it just went into shut-down mode.

I thought about that. Last night I loaded up the hopper & thought maybe the lid didn't fully close but it looked this morning that though it was still full it was not as full when I went to bed. Plus my wife was still up and she said it was fine up until she went to bed.
She's home now with the stove on. I have her calling me at work every hour for updates. She says it seems to be running fine

I just spoke with the Dealer from Heart Line Stoves. He seemed to think that the reason why the stove was out was probably a pellet issue. He says that sometimes pellets will be too long and they can create a bridge blocking pellets from entering the burn pot therefore what's in the pot burns out and the stove shuts down. Makes all the sense in the world. I'm burning Turmans & one thing I've noticed is there Pellets are alot longer then others.
Anyone else have this problem.

not uncommon, Donn. Either long pellets or a clump of pellets obstructing the feeder opening. These are really hard to diagnose, as when the tech gets to the home, often the cavity in the bin has collapsed and the stove works just fine.......if its a clump, well, a hand down to the bottom of the bin will pull out a clump. Unfortunately, with long pellets there really isnt a good "fix" to it, and will likely happen again........or not, if it was a freak accident.

I have a Harmon XXV and I know that if I buy bags of pellets that contain pellets that are an inch or longer, (which happens sometimes but I have noticed that most companies are making them shorter) I get pellet bridging and the stove shuts down. The XXV seems more sensitive to pellet length than other stoves. Ususally just restarting it "unbridges" the longer pellets and then the stove runs fine. Also, I sometimes put my hand in the pellet bin and try and stir the pellets up. This seems to work too. Although I think you should have gotten blinking of the status light.

dmancine said:
I have a Harmon XXV and I know that if I buy bags of pellets that contain pellets that are an inch or longer, (which happens sometimes but I have noticed that most companies are making them shorter) I get pellet bridging and the stove shuts down. The XXV seems more sensitive to pellet length than other stoves. Ususally just restarting it "unbridges" the longer pellets and then the stove runs fine. Also, I sometimes put my hand in the pellet bin and try and stir the pellets up. This seems to work too. Although I think you should have gotten blinking of the status light.

and yes, you are certainly correct, he should have had a 5 blink error as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.