harman xxv stove temp vs room temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
read all the posts and being a newbie trying to find out on my harman xxv what setting do i want for maximum heat to try and heat 2500sqf 2 floor home?stove temp or room temp

i also read in a post saying room temp the stove will automatically adjust the feed as needed.to test this i moved the feed to 6 and unburned pellets will fall off the front and if i move to 1 the pot will almost run out and the heat output will drop dramatically,if the stove is supposed to adjust the feed output why does my manual move of the feed override it?

I don't own your stove, but quoting from the manual:

'Based on the control settings and temperature demand, the control will make it's own determination of how long to run the feed motor,
UP TO the maximum allowed by the Feed Adjuster knob setting. For most premium grade pellet fuels, the feed adjuster should
be set at #4. If high-ash fuel is used, the setting may need to be adjusted to #5 or 6.'

What this means is the setting on the Feed Adjuster is the -Maximum- feed rate, and based on what you describe, the Feed Adjuster is working as expected, e.g. (1) = low feed rate, (6) fills the pot / high feed rate.

I would follow the manual recommendation and set the Feed Adjuster rate at (4) to start, and fine-tune the Feed Adjuster rate (3-5) after the stove has been working for awhile / is up to operating temperature.

Here's how I have mine:

FEED@4
FAN@Middle
IGNITER On MANUAL(after starting flick the switch to manual. The auto igniter will light the pellets)

The temp probe sticks out about 4 inches from the bottom of the stove. You might have to find a more suitable place for yours.

Once the chosen Room Temp is reached, my stove goes in "keep the stove going with a minimal amount of pellets burning" mode, until the temp drops and it ramps up the feed and the distribution fan. All this automatically.

For max heat output set the stove temp all they way up (that is full throttle), start with the feed limit in the middle (3-4), let the stove run for at least 15 minutes, inspect the pellets in the burn pot, if you have about 1 inch of ash between the glowing pellets and the edge of the pot you're good. If you have less than 1 inch, lower feed limit by .5, if you have more than 1 inch and want more heat raise the feed limit by .5, let stove run on high for at least 15 minutes and check again. Make additional adjustments as needed. Essentially you are trying to keep the maximun amount of pellets in the burn pot without overflowing it under full throttle conditions.

thanks for reply.that's how i tested it but that opens a issue.i start feed on 4 and watch it for 2-3hrs and it's fine,1 inch ash lip on pot.then when i wake up 6-7hrs later ash pan is filled with unburnt pellets and pot is overflowing.i have to turn feed to 1.5 to stop the overflow and keep the 1 inch lip.but running stove on 1.5 feed and 4 is a world of heat difference.on warmer days it's ok but we have been at 0 to -20 temps for days at a time so the feed at 1.5 only heats my first floor to 66 degrees where feed at 4 heats it to 72.i have tried okanaga platnium,gold,hamers and turman pellets and same issue with them all.the stove is new in sept. 2014 and was working fine until last month.i give the stove a thorough cleaning every 5 days.

I discovered that you need to scrape the pot 3-4 times per day to keep it running as efficient as possible when running the max. I don't think the quality of pellets that I have purchased is as good as last year. Same brand as last year.

thanks for reply.that's how i tested it but that opens a issue.i start feed on 4 and watch it for 2-3hrs and it's fine,1 inch ash lip on pot.then when i wake up 6-7hrs later ash pan is filled with unburnt pellets and pot is overflowing.i have to turn feed to 1.5 to stop the overflow and keep the 1 inch lip.but running stove on 1.5 feed and 4 is a world of heat difference.on warmer days it's ok but we have been at 0 to -20 temps for days at a time so the feed at 1.5 only heats my first floor to 66 degrees where feed at 4 heats it to 72.i have tried okanaga platnium,gold,hamers and turman pellets and same issue with them all.the stove is new in sept. 2014 and was working fine until last month.i give the stove a thorough cleaning every 5 days.

If it was working well before, and not now, something has changed - fuel, intake air, or exhaust..

Do you have an outside air kit? If so, have you checked the outside intake vent, and piping -> to the stove for any blockage?

Have you cleaned the exhaust piping -> up to the exhaust termination cap using a flexible rod / pellet brush ? (And visually inspected the exhaust piping and termination cap for any blockage?)

Was your stove installed by a dealer, and if so, have you contacted the dealer and described the issue?

--

We are also new pellet burners here - and tried several brands of pellets when starting, in part to see which would work best w/ the stove, in part due to not having pellet supply on-hand. I had purchased a few bags of (Walmart) Pennington brand pellets, our stove did not like them - at all -. Stove started having burn issues after running those pellets through: lazy burn, lots of ash, etc. Adjusting combustion air / draft rate helped some, but it was a constant effort to keep the stove firing well.

I had to do a full 1-ton cleaning (removing side panels, access ports, cleaning w/ flexible plastic rods / brushes / vacuum / blowing out with compressed air), the exhaust ports from the exchanger tubes -> to the combustion motor were 75% or more blocked with ash. It was a mess..

* Again, we are 'newbie' pellet burners here, and our stove is way different than yours, but hope this helps: if your stove was a dealer-install, highly recommend giving them a call..

have you tried removing the ESP and cleaning it ..its probably caked up with ash and not reading correctly.clean with damp rag till shiny again.windex will work too

Video you may find helpful ..

+1 - recommend a thorough cleaning ..

How to do a 1-ton cleaning..

Im sorry , that a cleaning , i didnt follow video all the way.
That stove is way to much pieces to clean , the new stove i bought doesnt
Have grates or burn chambers , the stoves the burn chamber, to many parts.i like Quick release fan though...

Seems like a lot, but every stove is different & the first time cleaning takes the longest.. It gets much easier the second/third/etc. time.
(Having a video to follow helps though.)

+1 corkman's suggestion to pull and clean the ESP sensor, and vacuum out that area thoroughly.

Gotta go do the work thing, have a great weekend, stay warm!

View attachment 154183 View attachment 154183
Seems like a lot, but every stove is different & the first time cleaning takes the longest.. It gets much easier the second/third/etc. time.
(Having a video to follow helps though.)

+1 corkman's suggestion to pull and clean the ESP sensor, and vacuum out that area thoroughly.

Gotta go do the work thing, have a great weekend, stay warm!

I had this happen once. I delayed in cleaning. Scrape that pot and clean the exhaust. Don't forget the fines box and ignitor area. Works like a charm. Quality of pellets also work into the equation. I bought cheap pellets this year and have to clean more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.