Harman XXV temp probe......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teeravis1

My manual says you can extend your heat probe using 18-2 thermostat wire, but says maximum length of 100 ft. But then in the note below that it says it shouldn't be extended more than 25 ft and should not be ran into another room in the house. I don't get it, it appears to be contradictory to me. So is it 100 or 25 ft? Whats the point of extending it if not putting it in a different area or room? I was thinking of running it to my 1st floor so the stove would be running to keep that floor at the temp I want it, even though the stove is in the basement. Do you think that would be a problem?

Our probe is on the wall behind the stove. We set the stove temp a bit high (about 72) so it's nice & warm in the living room/kitchen/dining areas (one room, cathedral ceilings) and run the ceiling fan in heat mode to distribute the heat down the hall towards the bedrooms. When we're at work we turn the stove down to about 67 and turn the ceiling fan off. We set the thermostats at 64 degrees as backup, the bedrooms generally stay around 65-66. Our house is a 1250 sq ft ranch. I dont' know about running the wire, but instead of running the long wire, you could just figure out the temp you need to set the stove at to keep the rooms the way you like them & make sure you've got some way of moving that heat upstairs.

I saw the same thing in my manual and thought it was contradicting also. Currently though, I am just using the probe without extending it. Where I have the probe located I need to set the dial about four degrees above the actual temp I want the room. No biggie though. If you are planning on extending it, I would try to keep it close to the shorter value.

Status
Not open for further replies.