1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Harman XXV trys to start itself when off

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by nhdblfan, Nov 18, 2012.

1. nhdblfan

nhdblfan Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Hi all,

had stove going this morning then we shut if off and it went through the normal cool down with the blower going then shut down fully,as it should. A couple hrs later it was making a sound like it was trying to start and sure enough thats what it was doing.It was going on for a second then off,then on for a second again then off. I checked to be sure I had in in the fully "off" position and it was. Unpluged it for now.
    I have also noticed recently when starting it you have to fiddle with the dial (I use stove temp mode)to find a good position to keep the start up on otherwise it does the same thing on for a second then off.

its about 5 years old of that helps.

What should I test first ?

thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

my money is on a weak/dirty/failing mode selector potentiometer.....hard to test, just have to find the "sweet spot", or replace the board......couple hundred bucks.
  3. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I have a newer stove with the pot having issues if I put it all the way to high room. New pots I am told can be had through eBay for $10 and need to unsolder and resolder it in. Wil replace in spring. Someone will fix boards for $100 +-
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    You need to find a dealer with a Harman Computer to check the dial settings.

Eric
  5. nhdblfan

nhdblfan Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Thanks, all

I bet its that potentionmeter as well as I am able to find a sweet spot to get her going-has not done the self start again but I am watching it.If I can keep doing that until spring I will grab one of those off ebay and swap it out ( sweated a lot of copper pipe but never did much soldering on a board, will probably see if the local puter guy can do it for me),if that fails I do see them for 210 shipped.

thanks again