Harman XXV (Very low flame - Dirty Glass, Etc.)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgrinz

Jun 20, 2010
Western MA
I notice the stove seems to run pretty dirty when it is running a low flame to keep the set temp in "Room Temp" mode(in this case 75 - when its 45-50 outside), is there a way to force the stove to run hotter, then shut down? At night when its 30, the stove seems to run fine, but during the day it dirties up fast, today creosoting the Heat Exchanger.

No, I am burning the free pallet of New England Wood Pellets(Hardwood) I got when I bought the XXV in June, I have 2.6 tons of O'Kanagans for when these are done, but I am only 6 bags into the pallet of NEWP's.

switch pellets for one thing... the Okies will burn much cleaner...

It just seems like the issue is that the fire never goes to full shutdown, so you get this low flame going for a while after it reaches the set temp. Its like its trying to maintain the temp and never needs a huge flame to do it, so I get like this low output burn that just isn't hot enough. The glass then starts to create that "L" shaped dirty smoke line fairly quickly. It seems to happen only when the temp outside reaches above 40-45. I've resigned myself to turning it off for a little while when this starts happening, wait for the house to cool down over a few hours and then restart it.

My Settings:
Room Temp Mode
Fan on High
Temp set to 75
Feed rate set to 5

Might be something we XXV owners just get accustomed to.
My settings:

Room Temp mode with fan nearest to "high"
Ignitor in "auto"
Feed rate "3.5"
Temperature set at "70"

Currently it is 42 outdoors and 72 indoors. The flame is low and lazy, but it is still present. I've noticed that once it gets in the 50's outdoors, the stove WILL shut off for periods of time. When it's in the lower to mid 40's, it acts as though it only needs to trickle heat to maintain 70+ indoors. Of course when it drops to freezing outdoors, the flame is MUCH bigger.

All that to say I'm not sure you are seeing something uncommon. Bothersome perhaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.