Harmanxxv vs. Quadrafire Mt vernon ae

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim1983

Jan 10, 2010
Northern NJ
Hello, I will be installing a pellet stove in my house soon, and I have narrowed it down to the Harman xxv, or the Quadrafire mt vernon ae. I have heard that the quad and the harman had problems in the past, and I was curious to see whether they where fixed. Please tell me which one would be more reliable.

Bigjim1983 said:
Hello, I will be installing a pellet stove in my house soon, and I have narrowed it down to the Harman xxv, or the Quadrafire mt vernon ae. I have heard that the quad and the harman had problems in the past, and I was curious to see whether they where fixed. Please tell me which one would be more reliable.

I don't know much well anything about the Quad. My wife and i installed a pellet stove last season and went with a Harman. We were down to a choice between the XXV and the P61A and went with the P61A becasue it was a few hundred less. We have been very happy with it and have had very few issues. We did have the service tech at our house once and he was very upfront about the P61A being the Harman workhorse and that they had very few issues with it.

I'm sure the kinks have been worked out of the XXV and Harman has great name recog and a good warranty and that is the main reason we went with Harman.

We are on year 2 with our P61. A buddy of mine has the Quad.

Pros and Cons
I like the battery back up options better on the Quad. Uses DC motors(12v battery and you are done); Harman use AC motors(Need an inverter/battery)
I like the size of the ash pan with the P61. Probably 3X bigger than the Quad.
Cleaning on the Harman is very straight forward. Full cleaning less than 30 minutes.
Room circulation fan is quieter on the Quad.

All things considered, I would buy the P61 again.
The Quad is a nice stove. Sure is a tough choice.
Good luck!

lessoil said:

Pros and Cons
I like the battery back up options better on the Quad. Uses DC motors(12v battery and you are done); Harman use AC motors(Need an inverter/battery)
Cleaning on the Harman is very straight forward. Full cleaning less than 30 minutes.

Good luck!

I agree, I like the P61 that we have although I think the look of the XXV is more appealing.

Bigjim13 said:
lessoil said:

Pros and Cons

Good luck!

I agree, I like the P61 that we have although I think the look of the XXV is more appealing.

I liked the XXV but my Wife didn't.
One more thing about the AE: Cracked baffle plate issue....Link bellow

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50180/

I am on my 3rd season with the Quad. In my opinion it has serious issues. The stove autocleans several times a day. When it autocleans the stove shuts down. After it cleans it restarts. They have a major problem with ignitors burning out. A stove shutting down several times a day and ignitors burning out is a bad combination if you ask me. I am on my 4th ignitor. Also, it takes about 20 minutes from shutdown-autoclean-restart, so lost temp is an issue. The autoclean system itself has issues also. The bottom of the burnpot slides out and the ash is supposed to fall into the ashpan. This doesn't always happen. Since gravity is the onlything cleaning the firepot the ash sometimes sticks to the edges and doesn't fall. If this happens the firepot, after several cleaning attempts continues to buildup with ash causing a poor burn and eventually the pot overflows. This situation is even worse if you plan on burning corn. The ashpan is way too small and the clips that hold it tight get weak and smoke can escape from the ashpan. The auger system makes a very loud clicking noise on low. Quad is aware of this clicking issue and has not corrected yet. I have had other issue but my dealer has fixed them. I have had great dealer support from him!!

On the positive side the stove looks great. It puts out alot of heat. It is fairly easy to clean. Battery backup is easy. Other than the design issues I described the stove is well built and sturdy.

Hope that helps

BIH

Status
Not open for further replies.