Harmen Accentra not lighting pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brihvac

Feb 20, 2011
North Wilmington, DE
I have a Harmen Accentra insert that just started not lighting. The ignitor is coming on as I can feel the heat in the burn pot, yet the pellets are not lighting. Could there be a issue with the pellets? Confused why they lit before now the will not. Same bag of pellets.

ignitors do start to fail and produce less heat. How old of stove?

I have a Harmen Accentra insert that just started not lighting. The ignitor is coming on as I can feel the heat in the burn pot, yet the pellets are not lighting. Could there be a issue with the pellets? Confused why they lit before now the will not. Same bag of pellets.
Have you cleaned out under the burn pot? Could be you have ash built up in between the fins on the ignitor.

I had that happen once,on the front of the burnpot you will see 2 wingnuts....loosen these...remove the plate and clean the ash thats built up in there....should work fine,unless your unit is older and the ignitor is spent.

My stove is older. I clean the ashes out regularly from the ignitor area. It finally did light after over an hour of trying. I thought an ignitor was either good or bad, seeing it was just an electrical element? Guess I better order up an ignitor. Does it install from the front through the access?

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I have seen certain pellets Natures own, penningtons that are hard to light. try a different brand of pellets before dropping $100+ on a igniter.

you may need to clean some debris from between the fins of the igniter cartridge. Removing the loose ash from the compartment under the burnpot is not always sufficient. It won't hurt to unbolt the igniter bracket and drop it down so you can have a look-see at the fins and clean em with a paintbrush type thingy. Be careful when doing this that you do not pull on the wires and that when you bolt it back up in that you do not get the wires crimped in between the bracket and the burnpot itself.

My stove is older.........I thought an ignitor was either good or bad, seeing it was just an electrical element?.........

I used to think the same thing, but found out that the ignitor in my 10-cpm was only getting hot in about 1/2 of it's length last winter.....startup times were like 10 minutes. I replaced the ignitor, and now I have fire in about 3 minutes.

I used to think the same thing, but found out that the ignitor in my 10-cpm was only getting hot in about 1/2 of it's length last winter.....startup times were like 10 minutes. I replaced the ignitor, and now I have fire in about 3 minutes.
Thats whats happenng to me. I took the ignitor out and cleaned it, but its taking forever to light

Status
Not open for further replies.