Harmon 300i cleaning the backside of combustion chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heitzman

Sep 27, 2016
Pennsylvania
So I wanna do a deep clean of this insert as we bought and moved in last november but used oil primarily. I read the instruction manual and I need to slide it out and vacuum from the top where it connects to the exhaust. I cannot find any vids of this process. Anyone have a video of this being done? Im assuming it must be pulled out to be deep cleaned. Any tricks of the trade please share, this is my first insert, Ive only had stand alone units in the past

Normally the insert is not pulled for cleaning. There is no connection between the insert's firebox and the fireplace's firebox if the insert was properly installed with a full, insulated liner. Usually, a cleaning of the liner and the insert's firebox is sufficient. If you want to investigate the insert's installation and see if any debris has fallen on top then follow the manual's installation directions for installing the surround, in reverse order.

For a first-time cleaning it would be good to have a professional, certified sweep do the job while you watch. They will inspect the liner and the chimney for any defects after cleaning.

So I wanna do a deep clean of this insert as we bought and moved in last november but used oil primarily. I read the instruction manual and I need to slide it out and vacuum from the top where it connects to the exhaust. I cannot find any vids of this process. Anyone have a video of this being done? Im assuming it must be pulled out to be deep cleaned. Any tricks of the trade please share, this is my first insert, Ive only had stand alone units in the past
I assume this is a Harman insert? If so most of them can be pulled apart from inside. But some are through bolted and do need to be pulled out to do that

Is a Harmon 100% and the manual speaks of pulling it out to clean it.
Yeah most of the ones I work on I weld the nuts inplace on the back side then it never needs to be pulled. It's absolutely ridiculous to have to pull an insert for normal service

Reactions: heitzman